1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race seat microcell foam padding

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kid a, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

Did a site search on foam set pad, race seat, etc but didn't see any threads with links to microcell foam adhesive pads.

I used some Amazon adhesive foam sheet to make my race tail seat last season and it's already chewed up and tearing away at the sides. I think the issue is the foam itself is not dense enough or too open cell / large cell type foam. I've seen minicell or microcell foam on some bikes before and I'm guessing its much more durable and a closed cell type foam. Having hard time finding adhesive sheets or the right looking stuff online. The foam type I'm after almost looks like suede because it's so dense and the foam cells are so small.

Anyone have any known sources for that stuff? The typical $20-$30 adhesive foam sheets that seem to be offered by LightTech, random Amazon stuff, etc all look like what I already have.

Thanks!

2. bigkaley

bigkaley Well-Known Member

3. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Look at personal water craft mats/companies. That stuff is usually tough as nails beats UV and should last a long time as a seat. Downside is that it is used for footing areas so very firm.

And wasn't there a thread about this 8 months ago?

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Yes, there was another thread not too long ago. Try kayak seat foam. All kinds of different variations for reasonable cost.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Not microcell but Minicelli

8. Mk4Matt

Mk4Matt Well-Known Member

I purchased a roll of hydroturf. The self adheisive absolutely fantastic. Lots of colors and patterns to choose from.

Forms to contours extremely well.

https://www.hydroturf.com/request-pwc/

You'll spend more upfront but I have made seats and tank grips for atleast 5 or 6 bikes and have plenty left. Also nice to have for other things around the house.

9. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

I need something with around 20-25mm thickness ideally.

I'll look at these options. Thanks

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

11. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

12. consumer38

consumer38 Well-Known Member

I have been through most of the options and short of spending $200+ on a RaceSeats setup or buying a complete seat plate with the foam attached I have found this to be the best stuff.
    https://htmoto.americommerce.com/store/c/65-SuperBike-Seat-Pads.aspx?sort=ItemName&&pi=2
    They have a cut and a molded version of the diamond pattern. The molded stuff is very nice but both work good for me. Everyone used to use it back before the snazzy seats.

Kid a and IronCactus like this.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I realize this will put me in clapped-out SV territory, but it seems to work.

I got this SV from Mark back in October, and the only thing I didn't like about it was the seating position...it just felt too high. I was going to get an aftermarket tail but they don't seem too accessible for 1st Gen bikes. So I came up with the bright idea of removing all the components off the pan and then just glue some foam to the pan. I went to the same rubber store that sold me foam for my RD 26 years ago and they gave me a 1' x 4' piece for $5. As you can see, it didn't quite cover the entire seat but the position feels perfect to me now. The damn 3M 77 glue cost more than the seat foam!

[​IMG]

14. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I have used CLC kneeling mats cut to shape as well. They are thick and more of a neoprene material so more cushion than the stuff you would get from Woodcraft.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Kayak foam is an inexpensive choice and easy to find.

16. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Sebimoto has one that puts ur ass right on the subframe rails.
    https://www.sebimoto.com/fairing-for-motorbike-suzuki-sv-650-s-00-solo-seat-closed
    We have one and a whole kit hanging about, in that 'unique' color of yours, if you can use it.

Attached Files:

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I saw that one but was a tad nervous about ordering from Germany. How much do you want for the one you have? I may be interested depending on how Tally goes next weekend. Thanks.

18. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Nothing or take the whole kit (upper,lower,tail,tank painted) for 300, YOU send a shipping label,, we'll box it up for free.

G2G likes this.