1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practice Sessions

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by jsmalnar, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jsmalnar

jsmalnar III_I

Couple questions: How does a practice session go for you? Do you pit in and make suspension adjustments? Do you run the whole practice? Practices are generally 30 minutes per group? Any other insight into how a practice session is run for you would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :up:

2. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

practice sessions are usually around 10 min, I just run the whole session. my bike is pretty well sorted. i don't think you would have time to pit, adjust, go back out, and evaluate.

3. :stupid:

Practice sessions are usually only about 10min. If things go smoothly/quickly in the morning, they will try to give us an extra few minutes in the last practice session though.

Basically, you have just enough time to make a few laps, get the cobbwebs out and see if there is anything blatantly wrong with your setup/gearing etc.

4. jsmalnar

jsmalnar III_I

How many practice sessions are there per group per day?

5. automan

automan It's all about the drive!

usually 2

6. jsmalnar

jsmalnar III_I

thank you for the information gentlemen.

7. ton

ton Arf!

what these guys said about the saturday and sunday practice sessions. just shake out the cobwebs and make sure nothing's wrong with the bike.

that said, if it's a track i've never been to, and often just 'cuz i like to... many race weekends have a trackday not run by WERA on the friday of the weekend. that's where i do all my work learning the track and trying to set up the bike. WERA national weekends have a full day of practice run by WERA on the fridays.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First bike on to last bike off they're longer than 10 but usually people don't get there right away and miss a lap or two of time. Normally it's 15min per round total time per group for two rounds and if I can up that on Sunday I do but it depends on the daylight we have and track rules.

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Spend your time learning the track, and let your suspension guy (you do have a suspension guy, right? no? go talk to one.. best $40 ever spent.) do the thinking after you're back in the pits.

Once you know the track like the back of your hand, then you can spend time working on specific items, like suspension (or a certain corner entry, or tucking, or brake points, or holding it WOT through a certain section, or ...).

10. I have noticed that also and been guilty of it myself. I told Lora to remind me to be ready to go and get to hot pit early, waiting for a green track during the practice sessions so i can make sure i get the full time allowed.