1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriot Guard Event at WERA's race at Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Huey130, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Now that we’ve had some time to recover from the awesome weekend at Road Atlanta with WERA, I’d like to update everyone that helped make it an unforgettable event for these awesome people.
    Just in case you missed the announcement prior to the weekend: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...g-this-coming-weekends-event-at-road-atlanta/

Sunday we had a 20’ X 30’ tent setup outside turn 10a with tables and chair and also stocked with water. The Patriot Guard racebike (as it’s become known), in its amazing Color Spot wrap, was brought up from the paddock and put on display next to the tent.

We had 29 Patriot Guard Riders (PGR’s), plus 4 support vehicles (vans that carry their flags), pillions, and many of their families show up: about 60 people total. I believe some were scared off by the weather report but this made for a perfect sized group.
    As the riders began to roll in they immediately started taking pictures of the racebike and talking about how excited they were about the day. They lined the entry to the track with American flags and flew flags representing each of the military services outside the tent.
    Time and time again I heard different people mention how good it was to be getting together with time to talk to one another instead of getting ready for their normal volunteer “duties”. I was amazed how many of them had ridden together but didn’t actually know one another because of the circumstances they meet. This was exactly why I proposed this day and exactly why I will never be able to say thank you enough for your support.

Sean Clarke, General Manager of WERA stopped in to welcome the PGR’s and offer his services for anything they needed. They told him everything was already way past what they could have imagined! WERA’s chief tech inspector and chaplin, Tony Pentecost came by to also welcome the riders and say a few words as many of the riders had missed church to attend the event. As WERA’s lunch break began we all rode to the other side of the track and stage for the track ride. I had the HUGE honor of leading the riders on two laps of Road Atlanta. I will freely admit it was a good thing I had a dark visor on my helmet because when I got to the bottom of the famous “Esses” and looked back to see those bikes flying the American and Patriot Guard flags that’s where the photographer was… no one needs to see a 43 year old tearing up on a race track. As we rounded turn 12 onto the front straight during our first lap I noticed all the WERA officials had come out to the starting stand and were waving the checker flag for us. As we got further down the straight, nearly half the paddock had made their way to the pitwall to cheer and clap as the PGR’s rode by. When I turned to climb turn 1 I could see riders were still coming onto the front straight from 12! At the end of the second lap we pulled into the “pro pits” on the outside of the track. We again went past the starting stand, Evelyne Clarke, the owner of WERA, was clapping and cheering loud enough I could hear her through my helmet over the rumble of all the bikes. We then pulled in formation and stopped just as the National Anthem was being sung to start the races!

After the National anthem and some hugs and cheers and pats-on-the-backs we rode back to the tent where Sonny’s BBQ and Jersey Mike’s subs were waiting on us. As the PGR’s ate and watched some onboard videos of racing it was awesome to hear them swap stories of their ride on the track and just smile and laugh. All of them came to me to thank us for showing them such hospitality and respect. Many riders and crew from the paddock, most of them veterans or someone connected to a veteran, stopped by during this time to shake their hands or give them a hug to say “thank you”. After eating I went back to the pits to prepare for the races and they began to explore the track and find vantage points to enjoy watching the rest of the day’s activities. I won’t bore you with my results from that day especially because it involves two DNFs (Did Not Finish) and a lesson of needing to put a new clutch into a bike that was abandoned at the shop that you turned into a racebike… no matter how awesome it looks. Hahaha

So here’s some amazing news: The more people learn about Patriot Guard and their mission the more people want to help. WERA especially to the point that they have already asked if it’s something we’d like to do again next year! WERA then donated the funds raised from their fan ride and fines imposed on racers on Sunday (prior to our ride) to Patriot Guard Rider’s of Georgia “HOTH” (Help on the Homefront) fund!
    This day couldn’t have turned out any better for these selfless people!

So here’s the thank you’s for which this day could not have happened:
    Walter Piper with Process Systems, Inc.
    Justin Merletti with The Color Spot, Ink
    Evelyne and Sean Clarke, Tony Pentecost, and all the WERA officials with WERA
    Justin Barnes from Jersey Mike’s Subs on Barrett Pkwy, Kennesaw, GA
    Lee Fields with Active Shooter Photography
    Friends of the shop Randy Ethridge and Ray Beyers
    Patriot Guard Rider Gary Adams
    My parents Joyce and Walton Stewart
    Everyone at Marietta Motorsports

Craig “Huey” Stewart
    Owner
    Marietta Motorsports

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff, Huey. :up:

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

:up::up::beer:

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Cool stuff.:):beer::clap:

5. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

:up:

nice meeting you last week! going to try to make it to GNF this weekend, but not sure.

6. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Very cool

7. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

:up: :up: :up: