1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Year Out...

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ZimZam, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

I've perused the noob threads, gathered info, and am now lining things up $$$-wise. After taking in all the info, I've narrowed down my selection of bikes to either a 300cc Ninja (link below)or an SV. I want to learn trackcraft first before stepping up in size/class. Would something similar to this be most appropriate? Have never raced, am 60+, 6'2" and 210. Many thanks.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ZOlWpopZVYJBfs76wPyJSs-OVonE5VI_

Raceless man likes this.
  2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

5. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

There are always inexpensive bikes like sv, kaw 300 etc on this site for sale that are all ready set up. You could be on the track in no time. Getting started is easier than one might think because there is alot of used but usable stuff out there including leathers, trailers, whatever.

6. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

I'm going with the consensus. SV, it is. Many thanks.

7. cpekz

cpekz Member

As someone who’s looking to start competing soon as well, asking those who responded with SV - any particular reason/advantage to start with the SV/Twins vs a 300 class bike for learning?

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I dont know about the other guys...but 6'2 210 on a 300 would be kind off clown bike-ish. SV is more suited to a full size adult in space and power.

9. cpekz

cpekz Member

Fair enough. Thanks

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Personal preference and comfort is about it.

11. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

I'm 6'3" 220lbs and thoroughly enjoy endurance racing on a 250 ninja. I've been racing for 20+ years and have a '05 636 racebike, but still have a blast on the 250 ninja. height weight does not negate all the positives of starting and learning on a small bike.