1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ninja 400 Race Questions (Willing to trade for info)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Robby-Bobby, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Lopsided

Lopsided Active Member

Thank you @DmanSlam , your kindness in following up is very appreciated!!

My hunch is that there are 2 categories here, Dropin (Ohlins/Andreani) and Some Machining Required (Ktech/Nitron)

I think I'm going to record a video about the install when I do it and post back here with the results, so others will know definitively in the future what to expect.

You know what would be so killer, for the cartridge manufacturers to put up their own install videos. We're a bit beyond being limited to distributing paper instructions in this day and age..

DmanSlam likes this.
  2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Re your last statement, I totally agree. There's existing YouTube channels for that, thankfully. You should publish your video there too since, I believe, the beeb will 'delete' your video after some time (to free up storage, I guess). Your post will remain though.

Lopsided likes this.
  3. Scook2397

Scook2397 Well-Known Member

I have had a budget track '18 N4 since 2019. Look at TYGA bodywork. I THINK they allow lower clip-0ns. Not sure if MA approved. I bought Moto Ricambi bodywork and had major issues with the belly pan. Everything else lined up perfectly but the belly pan was an issue. Knuckle clearance issues. Not many panels though which is what I was looking for. Norton re-flash. MWR filter and bought an airbox off eBay and pulled a shorty V stock out. Removed the snorkels. GSXR shock with older '07 spring. SPears upper shock mount. .80 & .85 K-Tech springs up front (per K-Tech rep) and preload caps. I honestly haven't touched the suspension in 3 years.

Oh buy all the clutch etc... upgrade products from Norton or Spears. I did and rarely have any issues with my gear box. The N4 seems to have ALOT less 'feel' from the clutch and gearbox compared to my GSX-R 750.

Ninja400riders forum has alot of info. My build is on that site plus many other MA builds I expect.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  4. Mikal

Mikal New Member

@Lopsided did your Nitron cartridges end up requiring machining to install? Thanks!

5. Lopsided

Lopsided Active Member

Yes it is the same process as Brian "STG" Van shows in the Ketch video on YouTube.

Great kit, recommended for sure.

Sadly I did not record any video as I have never done that for any install yet. Maybe one day.

Mikal likes this.
  6. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

My biggest question with the K-tech/GP Racing cartridge install was that "machining" bit because he breezes through it without a decent close up. Just jump in, you'll figure it out.

I set the end on my belt sander and rotated the tube. Also easy to just grind it off with a flap disk on a 4 1/2" grinder, I see no need to set it up in a lathe.

The trick is this. You are removing the bottoming spring assembly out of the tube. I don't know how Ohlins avoids this? But I like the weight gone (even though it is sprung weight) . The bottoming thing is installed at the factory and then the tube is rounded over at the end to hold it in place. All you need to do is grind the thickness of the rolled tube away at the end. Don't grind any further to the groove you see there, it's just 'the THICKNESS of the metal'. Then use a socket about the ID of the tube and a long extension to drive out the bottoming assembly. Put a rag over the end because that shit will fly out of there. Then neatly dress the edge thats left to get rid of the sharp edge.

I did 4 of them and it was still too easy to stop and take pics.

Lopsided likes this.
  7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

They just make cartridge different, with thin extension on bottom to not interfere with tube.
    And that is not bottoming spring, it is top out spring. It controls extension. Cartridges have it internally so no need for stock one.

8. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Ya, sorry I meant the top... bottoming out. I dum.

Anyway, it's heavy and unnecesary with cartridges. I'm happy to have them out of such a lightweight bike.