1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Truck Purchase F150

Discussion in 'General' started by prm, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Yes Dodge (Ram) was the last holdout in the manual trans category. They were available behind the Cummins up till 2018. They discontinued them in 2019 when the 5th gen trucks came out.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

That is your justification in liking the Bowtie ... you know how to fix them.

I've never driven a GM product that wasn't a POS IMO. I am getting a bit more respect foe the LS platform, but not the design or build quality of the vehicles overall. I like Ford, which is obvious as I still drive my 1996 Explorer w/ 500K miles on it a few times a year. I still plan to one day have a late model Mustang and have a 1000HP motor, yet be a candidate as a daily driver vehicle (though most seattime will be at test and tune nights at a nearby dragstrip).

I find it amazing that you can have a production car with some "minor" tweaks and have 1000HP on your hands.

And for those of you that have not warmed up to the 10 speed trans that was co-engineered by Ford and GM ... you can keep pretending that steam trains will never be replaced and always around.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’ve never destroyed a 4L80E.

I have destroyed a 5R110W.

yzfpat, CBRRRRR999 and TurboBlew like this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I’m on my 14th GM truck, whole family drives Generous Motors, at one time there was over 20 GM trucks in my family. I don’t remember any of these vehicles blowing a transmission.

yzfpat likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I think my 4R(?) or L(?)100 is being a dick, again.
    First time was output shaft bushing...external indication was leaking fluid.
    This new issue is best described as a cavitation/bearing noise...seems to be coming from the front end of the trans but who knows what it is at this time. The truck parks on a slope for extended periods of time and maybe the torque converter is draining down. The noise goes away after a short operating time in gear. Fluid level is within dipstick indicators.

Give me a manual any day...don't care how awesomely fantastic 10 gears might be if they're controlled by a computer.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the nice thing about a computer controlling the shifts is the ability to tune them.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My buddies brand new 5.3 GM blew the motor around 30K.

Original owner, no wrecks. Old guy

8. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Plenty of tuning available with the left foot/right hand combo in a manual trans too.

fastfreddie likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t sweat it sitting. Top off the tank with fresh gas and a can of Sea Foam and run it.

I’d suggest buying a 5.0L over the EcoBoost, if you can find one.

prm and R1M370 like this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

for sure get the 36 gal tank if possible, if you intend to tow anything...

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

If you go with a GM, 5.3 or 6.2 with a 10 Speed is the way to go. Stay away from the 8 Speeds.

ducnut likes this.
  12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I have that on my current F150 and it is a must have (part of Max Tow package).

TurboBlew, MELK-MAN and ducnut like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Unless it has a dOd failure. Which it will....

LS motors are great tuned. Stock, not so much. My wifes stock 6.2 couldn't pull a string out of a cats ass.

OP if you've gotten used to the EcoBoost platform I think both the 5.0 and the GM LS stuff will be underwhelming.

15. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Trashed more 4l60s than I thought possible til finally putting a 4l80 in my suburban. 2 rear ends.
    94 Dodge @30k
    F150 @150k
    Some loaded , some with trailers and some empty.
    Trans for high hp diesel boats can last 50 years with occasional oil changes. I've never had MC trans fail either.

4 wheel passenger vehicles just seem under built to me.

ducnut likes this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Planned obsolescence.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I ended up with a good deal on a ‘22 F150 with the 5.0

Happy with it so far. The 3.5 is a great engine no doubt, but I’m liking the 5.0 enough. Certainly sounds better! Using eco mode I drove the new truck on a 7 hr round trip and it averaged over 23mpg. Towing is not quite as good with the 5.0. Perhaps just different. The 3.5 tows seemingly effortlessly while the 5.0 needs rpms to make power so it seems like its working harder. Just different types of power. Towing the v-nose trailer or the horse trailer results in similar mpg. Slight edge to 3.5. This truck is getting better as it breaks in though. Just had first oil change at 4600mi.

ducnut, R1M370, 418 and 3 others like this.
  18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Good to know. My ‘15 F150 is at 164k miles, and while nothing is wrong, I’m jonesing for something new. How are the interior changes?

19. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Well, if you decide to make the leap, hit me up on your '15. I'm currently in the market for something used to haul my stuff to the track about 8x/yr. I'm about 70 min. from you.

bleacht likes this.
  20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

The interior is definitely upgraded. My ‘15 and this ‘22 are both XLTs. No major interior options for either. Better power options, large screen, CarPlay, dual zone heat/AC, cameras everywhere. The Max Tow package was my only must-have.