1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Truck Purchase F150

Discussion in 'General' started by prm, Mar 12, 2023.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

My trusty 2015 F150 has 176k on it and the time has come for a new truck. Question for the gurus, how concerned would you be with a 2022 that was built last September? I’ve found a few ‘new’ ‘22 F150s with build dates from last fall (September). Apparently sitting around waiting for chips. I’m guessing they will knock the price down a bit (msrp ~$64k). A new ‘23 built similarly is ~$2k more on msrp. If I can get 5k off what is essentially the identical truck, and it’s 2k less to start were at $7k less. The elephant in the room is the truck sitting for months. I am reluctant to buy one of these trucks. Leaning towards seeing what kind if deal I can get on the ‘23. Should I not be concerned about a new truck sitting that long?

Also, anyone aware of ways to get good deals on an F150? Good dealers, X-Plan connection, etc.

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

They want the older models off their book so they're going to negotiate.

Use that as leverage and get extended warranty if you're worried about problems

Run fuel system cleaner

3. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I bought a new 22' from Preston Ford, MD this past September. Larger dealership and just got my 1st service done there 2 weeks ago. Inventory was good and there was no chip issue for trucks sitting.

4. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Not a Ford, but I bought a brand new sprinter 18 months after the build date and now have 88k miles on it with no issues related to it sitting. 3 of the 4 tires were flat spotted, but Mercedes replaced them for me under warranty. I wouldn't be too concerned if you can get a good deal.

BrentA and prm like this.
  5. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

The gas would be my only concern. Try to get them to flush or drain the tank but I bet they say they did and just fill it up and call it good. They typically sit with just a few drops of fuel so I bet if you fill it up and mix a full tank of fresh fuel with the gallon that’s in there it’ll be okay.

If you have time on your side there are absolutely dealers starting to negotiate. If you don’t mind used that market is about to implode.

6. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Also check when the factory warranty starts. With Mercedes it is delivery date or 18 months from build date, whichever is first. My delivery date ended up being 17 months 3 weeks from the build date.

7. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

What's wrong with your current truck at only 176k?

yzfpat, BrentA and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Just a few minor things at the moment (brake light nobody can figure out, small leak on turbo coolant, valve cover leak). I get an occasional CEL for some crank case breather, whatever.. I do a few long trips each year and it’s probably as much about peace of mind as anything. I could fix the coolant leak. Pain in the @$& but doable, and it’s probably due for a timing chain, again doable, but rather involved. I used to only keep truck to about 100k, so this is progress.
    The only things I’ve had to do were fix a turbo coolant leak and replace a throttle body.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

My 2013 is leaking and I fixed the valve cover because I was tired of smoke in my ac and out the hood.
    Once I can get out of the ford I think I’m done with them. Mine is in great shape interior wise and has all the bells and whistles but I want something more bullet proof. I just want a truck to get me to the airport and farm

Circacee and prm like this.
  10. Saiyan66

If you are going with a gas powered truck you cannot beat an LS powered GM product. Their transmissions are questionable though.

11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

It seems every manufacturer has some issues. I don’t think the Toyotas have enough miles to really know what weak points may exist. Everything that has been an issue on mine was redesigned in subsequent years and proven to be better. The valve cover leak is where the vacuum pump used to be, the turbo coolant has been redesigned, the timing chain was redesigned (initially the redesign had its own issues but seems solid now). So I think the current F150 is a proven design. I could even go with the 5.0L V8. They had an issue with cylinder linings in the ‘18-‘20 timeframe but corrected that. It is a solid design.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

My wife had major issues (rusted, failing brake lines on a fairly new vehicle) with a Denali and refuses to allow a GM product to tow her horses, ha ha. I don’t know all the details but she had to use trailer brakes to stop.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

why do you say that?? the stock 5.3 in the chevy is < motor than the stock 5.0 in the Ford. And the fuel range on the Ford is far superior if you have a 36 gallon tank.

MELK-MAN and ducnut like this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry at all about a new truck sitting for months.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Bigger issue is the manual transmissions. :D

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I keep looking and can’t seem to find one!

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah. I know. I could live with alu sheet metal if they gave me something I could pound on.

I think RAMs were the last manuals.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

test drive an 8 or 10 speed auto equipped truck. Makes the 6s of recent past seem silly

ducnut and YamahaRick like this.
  19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

is 254,000 miles too many miles on a 04 2500HD Diesel? Seems like a lot but it's been well kept and I Know the owner

20. Saiyan66

I was talking longevity. The 5.3L LS motor will outlast the Ford 5.0 no questions asked. Power output is another thing altogether. As far as transmissions go, I have yet to have any GM transmission go past 150k without failure. On the plus side they are cheap and easy to swap.