1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New racer and VA Benefits

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Lucas Smith, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Lucas Smith

Lucas Smith New Member

I am just getting into this sport and have been looking around for information regarding how and if the VA would cover medical services if needed.

I am classified as a disabled vet and
    I have been given different answers, but hope someone here can give me information from a racer's perspective.

Thank you!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They've always covered hurt riders that I know of. Only issues have been active duty service members explaining how they can't work to their CO's :D

Rising Sun likes this.
  3. LilBabyGirl

LilBabyGirl Whiney Cunt

I would contact the VA and ask them but I highly doubt you'd be covered.

4. Big Sherm

Big Sherm Well-Known Member

Why do you doubt the VA would cover injuries from racing?

G 97 likes this.
  5. Big Sherm

Hey MoleMan.
    I'm sure there are several who'd like to know why you believe that, including me!

Scott

6. Lucas Smith

Lucas Smith New Member

I am heading up to the local office for a routine check and I will let you know what I find out.

7. Big Sherm

I'm a retired vet, and I use the healthcare I earned in the military.
    When I show up there with a health issue, I'm not asked why I have it, and no one checks the cause against some approved list of activities.

I think MoleMan was only being contrary when he suggested some causes of injury wouldn't be covered.

Scott

8. Lucas Smith

Lucas Smith New Member

Thanks Scott. I have not had a reason to use the system other than a somewhat routine checkup. Just want to know where and how many hoops to jump through.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've never heard of any of our vet riders being refused care. Same issues as normal but nothing specific because something happened racing.

10. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I assume it's like most other health insurance. To make things quicker, I have always said I had a "sporting injury" because when they hear "motorcycle crash" your insurer thinks it is a street crash, and they start looking for someone else's insurance company to cover the costs. I figure my broken bone or sprained ankle is no different if I did it falling off a race bike, or sliding into a base and splintering an ankle (as was done by a girl on our company intermural softball team).

11. Jesse Williams

Jesse Williams Need more track time! Always!!

Its no different than being hurt in a sports car accident. I make a choice to put myself into dangerous situations all the time. There is risk everywhere. They cannot discriminate like an insurance company. You served, you get health care. That's it. Veterans are almost universally prone to risk taking behavior and they know this. I know because I'm receiving treatment from a track day crash and I told them exactly what happened and where and they didn't blink an eye. Go enjoy yourself and be safe.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  12. Rich lawrence

Rich lawrence Member

Hell, they cover me for an injury off duty that I ended up being medically disqualified/ discharged for. In fact, it’s the one issue they are REQUIRED to take care of no matter what.

13. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’ve received lots of healthcare from the VA over the years. I have never been questioned as to how I received the injury. They do what doctors do, patch me up and send me on my way.

I did get a lecture from an ortho doc when I broke my collarbone. He strongly advised me to stop riding motorcycles.

Ok you got it doc, I’ll get right on that, lol.