1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new phone

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

So I keep an att prepaid go phone account because I'm out of the US way more than I am in. Been doing this since 2005 and just change sim cards in whatever country I'm in and as long as I keep money in my account my phone number is always there and its 2 bucks a day short term or if I know I'll be back for a bit its 50 a month prepaid and seems to work with enough data and texts for what I need.

So have been in the Bahamas for the most part since Dec, I went to make sure my balance was ok and had a message to call customer service. They are switching all their phones to 5 g and mine is not. 150 dollar samsung from Brazil. So called att and said I can't switch the phone now because I'm in the middle of nowhere Bahamas, can I just add money whatever you want to my account to keep my number. No, we have to activate a phone with 5g and your number on a sim card to keep it open.

Called my mom, and told her to bring her phone to the store in Florida, pop out her card, put theirs in, activate the account, and pop it out problem solved. She did that but it was to late, my number was cycled out to someone else. So now still in the Bahamas, won't be back for a month but need to have a phone waiting for me when I get there.

I'm not an apple guy, I buy burner chromebook laptops, not a tech guy, don't use 99% of any extra function on a phone or laptop. I want something cheap/ midpriced that if I break it or it gets lost or stolen I could give 2 shits. When I was living across the pond/ Asia/ South Pacific huawei was huge and cheap. I have a cheap samsung now and should maybe stick with them because an easy switch. Any models to recommend under 500 bucks?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Back Market - refurbished Samsung S20.

3. Captain Morgan

Maybe a dummy question, are reburnished phones ok?? Have seen them but don't know if they are good or just get something new??

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have purchased 3 phones from Back Market, the latest an iPhone 8 for the blonde woman because she likes the home button. I have always paid a little more for one rated as excellent condition. You have 30 days to return. I have had excellent results with these phones. I don't need the latest and greatest. These work fine and you can get them unlocked to work on most, if not all carriers.

5. Captain Morgan

Thanks a lot, just checked them out. Looks like exactly what I was looking for. Short and sweet, will order one now

Sabre699 likes this.