1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a medical translation, please

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Sep 21, 2022.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Update:

My appointment is with Dr Lassiter at Duke on Oct 17, then surgery in about 2 months after that.

BigBird likes this.
  2. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

As soon as you get what your physical therapy is going to be, be prepared to do it on both arms as your good arm will likely show you how it should look and feel as you rehab the repair arm. It will also strengthen the good nonprimary arm and reduce the chance of it happening to that arm.
    P.S. I am no dr, but for my rotator cuff rehab it helped a lot to work both evenly

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  3. dtalbott

Thanks.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I went through this exact same procedure in 2019, rotator cuff, labrum, slap tear. It was a workers comp case and I was hoping I didn't get a 2nd tier doctor. I guess I got lucky. The rehab wasn't near as bad as the healing process as soon as I got out of the hospital. You have to sleep in a chair. I had the ice re-circulating shoulder sling, it helped a lot. My doctor said if I did everything he said, I would someday brag about how good my shoulder is. He said it could take 2 years to heal completely, and he was right.

I was a baseball pitcher as a kid in sports, so I was worried my arm was never going to be the same. I did all the therapy as prescribed, which wasn't that bad, and today my should is as good as new. I was in the gym last year and wanted to try out my shoulder by throwing a baseball. I was amazed how good it felt, no pain, strength was there, and I had complete control of where I was throwing the baseball. I brag that I have a Sebastian Peers rebuilt shoulder, just like he said I would do.

BigBird and dtalbott like this.
  5. dtalbott

Thanks for the good news info and advice.

6. dtalbott

Finally saw the Duke doctor Monday morning. Two tears, one 3/4 of an inch, the other almost one inch.

Now we wait for work comp to approve the surgery.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

fingers crossed it gets approved easily and you get the great care. In the meantime, what's happening with work? sounds not too fun right now with shoulder pain and driving

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Here's my shoulder MRI....doesn't look as bad as DTall's. I'll rub some Vicks on it probably.

upload_2022-10-18_6-45-7.png

9. dtalbott

Work situation - I'm getting paid for doing nothing.

BigBird likes this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You moved to outside sales?

Congrats! Welcome to the club.

@Dave K has the membership jackets.

:D

dtalbott likes this.
  11. dtalbott

I'll need a 4X, please.

12. dtalbott

2751.jpeg

Surgery is done. Rehab is next on the plate.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Awesome. Do everything the rehab and doctors want you to do. Is sleeping difficult? I slept in a recliner for a month.

vfrket and dtalbott like this.
  14. dtalbott

I'll find out tonight

15. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Both arms!

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Just the right shoulder. I wore a giant sling for 3 weeks that received ice water pumped from a cooler. That helped a bunch, but was very bulky and uncomfortable. A lot of people assume shoulder surgeries are all the same, and a few people would ask I was doing this certain exercise, but I was told by my doctor to not do anything with this arm for 3 weeks. It took me 2 years to heal completely, and it feels as good as it ever did. I feel no pain, lots of strength, all my mobility is back. I would recommend this doctor.

dtalbott likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Heal up fast DTall!!

dtalbott likes this.
  18. dtalbott

Maybe time for an update:

Surgery went well. Been in rehab since November. Finally conquered the pink dumbbells two days ago.

Doctor expects me to be ready for work in June.

Rehab shows I'm progressing, but it shows me that I have a long ways to go.

19. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Keep with the rehab even when discharged. I went through 5 shoulder surgical procedures in a 9 year time frame. To this day, I still do shoulder exercise band exercises as warm ups and as part of my training routine. Shoulders are easy to have a "if you don't use it, your lose it" aspect that will have you realize how much you rely on shoulder ROM. (Wiping, seat belt on, putting a jacket on...etc)

Good to hear all is well. Keep on the good road.

dtalbott, BigBird and R Acree like this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Keep on truckin DT.

dtalbott likes this.