1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a medical translation, please

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Sep 21, 2022.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Details? Got an app? :D

dtalbott and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My safe word is 'PINEAPPLE JUICE'

CBRRRRR999 and dtalbott like this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Making my knee bend again after months of it being immobile was not pleasant and they did not care. :D

CBRRRRR999 and dtalbott like this.
  4. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

:stupid: Yep. My knee was immobile after high-siding an xr100 on a drying clay track. It took many months to get it back to fully functional, and yes, the therapist enjoyed giving out the pain! The most disappointing thing was, I missed qualifying for the 250 race at Road America that year. Normally not an issue. Just couldn't move on the bike with the limited knee movement and extra seat foam needed.

dtalbott likes this.
  5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Earlier this year I had my biceps long head tendon relocated to the upper front side of my humerus, cleaned up the labrum from a SLAP tear and the clavicle shaved on the outer end and the back side of it on top of the shoulder joint - forgot what that medical term is, don't have that surgical procedure write up in front of me.
    In a sling 24/7 for 6 weeks, other than shower (once that was allowed) and changing shirts.
    Careful taking the sling off the first day or two after surgery if you get the full nerve block - -your arm will just fall out, you have no control over it, very strange sensation.
    Pain from the surgery once the nerve block and whatever hospital pain stuff wore off was really nothing. I got a script for Norco but never filled it, simple ibuprofen was fine.
    Had to sleep in the recliner for a few nights, laying flat was uncomfortable with the sling until I got used to it.
    Physical therapy also started the following week. Very simple movements, but need to get those started right away.
    After the six weeks, out of the sling and the physical therapy by then is a bitch. Lots of stretching the arm and they just push it.
    I also got a case of bursitis a few days after taking off the sling, but a shot and a couple days for it to take and all was good.
    Due to the biceps tendon relocation, all this time no using the bicep - not even allowed to flex my arm up, had to use other hand to pick up hand on injury side. Just sucked.
    Range of motion is 100% now, but strength is taking some time. Was a solid four months before mountain biking again, and only super light weight for certain movements, talking five pound girly dumbbells.
    But again, I'm adding plates now with my lifting, have 100% range of motion and maybe back to 50-60% strength.
    But I was told it would be a solid year before I was back to full strength, so it's expected.
    Had my final follow up with surgeon on Tuesday, he said it's all good, the anchor is just as strong as OEM, and he said not to worry about it, just keep progressing slowly with the weights.

And yes, the overall process of the shoulder surgery, rehab, PT is incredibly painful. Every bit as painful as people say.
    But also totally worth it.

dtalbott, BigBird and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  6. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

Both shoulders, both knees, left wrist and right hand over the years have been FUBAR'd. Several times due to street squid shenanigans when I was young and couple from fights in the same timeframe.
    The hand was the absolute worst and I've had some lovely injuries.
    Having each digit individually indexed 5 times a week for range of motion and strength for 6 months was excruciating.

7. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Clavicle resection. Did you have your clavicle tenting up at your AC joint? Im assuming they closed that back up when they did the rest of the work since they were already in there.

That's normally just a cosmetic thing and they'll leave it be. But if its causing you some instability or other issues, or if they're already in there and you want it done for cosmetic reasons, they'll knock it out

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

[​IMG]

How can you talk with something in your mouth? :Poke:

10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Apparently my shoulder is a bit beyond the expertise of my local Ortho, so Werner workcomp will be contacting Dr. Toth.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Jed and BigBird like this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

the positive is that they knew when to fold them and didn't try to experiment with you.

Hope you get a great outcome!

Boman Forklift and dtalbott like this.
  12. dtalbott

Agreed, and thanks.

BigBird likes this.
  13. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

Great to hear you are getting hooked up with a great Ortho. That is key to having the best outcome and the fastest recovery.

I was in the same shape as you a few years ago and did not get mine repaired in a timely manor. It got to where I could not reach anything on the dash or shift my truck, had to use my left arm. I had someone recommend a surgeon at Mayo for the repair. I am so glad I went there because when he got into it I had done so much damage to it waiting to get it repaired that the ball part of the shoulder socket had abnormal wear on the socket side of the ball. He cut the ball off, used a ream to reshape the socket and put a new ball in. It has been about 15 years now and I have never had an issue with it.

I put a pulley with a rope in the ceiling of the garage, tied loops on the end and every two hours I would use that to gain range of motion in my shoulder. He said motion without using the muscles on that arm was key so I would pull my arm that I had the surgery on up with my good arm. It reduced my recovery time by almost half. If I remember correctly I think it was only 3 months after surgery that he completely released me from his care. He said I definitely did the right things.

dtalbott and BigBird like this.
  14. dtalbott

Thanks for the advice.

15. lopitt85

Yep, passive ROM will help with maximizing your active ROM later and help prevent frozen shoulder. Also being aggressive with your physical therapy and communicating with your physical therapy team is paramount. Follow their guidance and dont go rogue and you will be very happy with your recovery.

dtalbott likes this.
  16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I had what a sports massage / trigger point massage guru termed "sling syndrome" after getting my clavicle plated and then 8 weeks later getting my AC joint routed out. Be warry of all the non involved muscles atrophying and contracting. My issue was my scapula being pulled on hard towards my spine and everything around my rotator cuff and pectoral being too weak to compensate. Three sessions with her helped more than 6 weeks of 2x a week PT which included dry needling. Docs focus on PT for what they cut and stitch and don't necessarily concern themselves with the surrounding musculature. Hopefully my experience was just a lousy doc and PT center (doc, MRI, and PT were all the same entity.)

dtalbott likes this.
  17. lopitt85

I'd say so. My PT was intently focused on not just the affected areas, but all of the surrounding musculature for a fully functioning "system". In my experience, the difference is usually that a team that works with civilians and geriatrics is focused on quality of life and basic functions, i.e. being able to reach a glass on the shelf, and so they aren't as aggressive with PT. While a team that works with athletes/military are focused on getting as close to or better than original ROM and strength, and are therefore much more aggressive. You want the latter.

dtalbott likes this.
  18. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Bicep Tenodesis procedure.

19. dtalbott

Was just told Dr Toth may or may not take my case because it's work comp.

Any opinion on the following doctor's?

Dr Alli Lassiter
    Dr Kevin Spear
    Dr Jonathon Dickens

20. Eshber

Eshber Well-Known Member

Enjoy your surgery and recovery. Hopefully your physical therapist is hot- you will be spending a lot of time with her.

dtalbott likes this.