1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mower doesn’t start when hot

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Mar 12, 2023.

1. My guess would be that it is just sitting there.

2. [​IMG]

cav115, TurboBlew and R1Racer99 like this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup:

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Does it have a manual choke? Lots of mowers have auto choke now. And they can be tricky on hot restarts because they have a bi metallic spring in them to pull the choke off when they warm up. You might need to re adjust the choke if that is the case.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Get some fainting goats. Your grass will get cut and you will get some entertainment as well. :D

6. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

My "similar" mowers that have the auto choke go through this about 4 times a year. I know when it starts happening that I need to replace the air filters and lube the choke plate and mechanism. As soon as I do that they start fine until it gums up again.

I also replace the spark plugs every 4-6 months now because I have had issues of not restarting or just not starting when cold and it has been the plugs. I am not sure if I got a bad batch of plugs or if they just do not last anymore or if they are knock off NGK's as the market is full of them. I find it easier to just change them out before it is an issue.

7. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

about the same as if it was out of gas. You pull the rope expecting it to start, doesn’t do a thing. Pull it a few more times, then borrow the neighbors Ryobi.

8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Auto Choke. No primer bulb either. My prior mower was 17 years old, so I was surprised by the changes

9. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I usually have a very difficult time beginning to mow when it's hot outside, also.

10. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Have you confirmed whether or not it's creating spark when it's not wanting to start?

11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Carbed engines tend to go lean when they're hot, I'd say put the choke on, but the auto-choke kinda hurts you there. Maybe partially cover the intake when starting?

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I luv my Toro electric hedge trimmer, string trimmer, blower, and mower. :D

(I really miss my Deer riding mower, Redmax backpack blower, Makita 4stroke trimmer, and Stihl hedge trimmer. Stupid divorce and moving from a 1.5 acre lot to a .15 acre one.)

R1Racer99 likes this.
  13. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

No, presume I need a second person to pull the rope while I check?

14. condon66

condon66 Member well known

It makes it a little easier.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pull a rope? That's an easy fix, first step go buy a mower with a starter on it.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Get a lawn service or just pave your lawn.

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

any dyno #s for said power? Sounds like its down on power...hehe

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I don’t think you’ll get around it. I’m on my 3rd Toro TimeMaster 30”, in ~9yrs. Occasionally, I’d have the same thing as you. On a couple big properties, I’d have to refuel with the mower running, because I couldn’t get it to restart if I shut it off. Dangerous, I know. But, that’s what kept me going.

I’ve never had a failed coil, on a modern mower.

I’ll never own a pull-start mower, again. Pulling my shoulder out of socket is no longer appealing. And, if I suspect a choke issue, I can reach the choke linkage, while turning the key.

19. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Ironically that’s what I’ve been doing. I have a tiny lawn, if it wasn’t for playsets, trampolines, etc I could mow the backyard in 15 minutes. So I make sure the fence gate is already open, and that I’ve got a full tank.

ducnut likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

.15 acres? That's like 5 minutes with a weed whacker, if. :D

ToofPic likes this.