1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right about that. I had spaced that their reservoir was angled to the side. But I mostly try to forget about Sram stuff in general, lol.
    The Sram levers can be flipped side to side. But if you're going to do it, still best to get new hoses to get the proper lengths.

2. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

98% of my mountain bike riding is on paved roads. :D

3. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I’m out in north bend but drive down to Portland once a month. I love thrillium grew up very close to there. I can give you some good trails to hit no hood river if you like stuff like thrillium

4. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I absolutely destroyed my derailleur hanger last week.. I also bent the derailleur.

I replaced the hanger but couldn’t get the derailleur back into working order. I’m not super great at working on these things, me thinks.. So I decided to take it to the bike shop and have them look it over.

My suspicions were confirmed, the derailleur was tweaked pretty good. According to the tech, I had gotten it about as close as I could. I could keep using it but I would have problems described similar to the problems I was already having.

Bike had been jumping in and out of gears in the mid-range, not shifting at all, then slamming up/down 3-4 gears at a time, etc. I had the bike looked at multiple times and they’d get it going right and it’d only last about 2-3 rides. I was getting fed up and was actually planning on upgrading everything as soon as life slowed down a bit. (I try to ride 4-5 times a week, and I had actually started to get used to only having about 6 gears lol)

Anyway, I figured “better pull the trigger” so I requested that they just upgrade all the SRAM SX bullshit to GX and let me know when it’s done. I figured it’d be about $700 for everything installed and I was ready to do it.

However, the tech kinda brought me back down to earth and suggested I just upgrade the shifter and the derailleur to GX and leave the rest alone. (I actually had no idea you could do this. I always assumed these group sets or whatever had to be run together) He stated for my needs and skill level that this would be the best option. I didn’t need a new crank, and the GX stuff is really just lighter, (no benefit for me right now) and the rear cassette wouldn’t actually fit my wheel (boost 141 probs or something, and I’d need a new wheel built)

I figured this guys knows way more than me, so I went that route. They had everything in stock, and it was about $215 for the parts and having them install it all.

The bike is WAAAYYYY better!! Holy shit I have gears now! The shifts are so crisp and instant, I love it. My wife used to catch me and even pass me on climbs because I would be limited on gearing and I’d wear myself out.

Now I’m absolutely crushing her stupid soul on the trails. Hahahaha.

anyway, just thought I’d update. Lol
    BEBF4592-4156-4940-9832-A2810A01078C.jpeg

Dunno why this pick is 90 degrees.. oh well.

5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

A deal popped up on our local fb group for a Liv electric MTB so I jumped on it for my wife. It is a total game changer. She doesn't ride hard at all and has a harder time with more technical riding. But, with the E-bike, she just pedals right through it. It has given her so much more confidence and made riding way more fun. I honestly didn't expect her to notice it as much around our local trails, but wanted it so she could not get so discouraged climbing actual mountains in NC. She is now trying to get me to make time to go riding.

Also, I'm absolutely in love with my Ibis Ripmo AF. It does everything so damn well.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah man Ebikes are total game changers. Especially for riders who can't ride a ton so they have a hard time keeping the fitness. What's funny is it makes you want to ride more because you know you won't blow yourself up on a ride.

TurboBlew, L8RSK8R and MyWayGuy like this.
  7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Not the right place, but given this thread - I'm probably looking to sell my SRAM AXS dropper post. Like new, used a few times. Just don't need it, if anyone is interested.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yah local LBS sells 1 to a wife and the hubs is poo pooing the idear then comes back a week or 2 later tail between his legs because his wife is pedaling 20-30miles a day and he is getting dropped...lol.

Spooner likes this.
  9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Finally got out to Post Canyon. I don’t think this was even the biggest feature. Made it my goal to drop this by September.

[​IMG]

Sweatypants and TurboBlew like this.
  10. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I wan't a pic from the top looking down for full effect. And a video of you when you hit it! That looks pucker inducing.

11. shakazulu12

It's up there. It was a little unnerving even walking to the edges on a few. That said, the whole run has a perfect flow to it. It all links up very well. Video below isn't me, but same run. Drop is around the 1:15 mark. There are now even more features as they added another run at the bottom.

Mike Lafayette and ekraft84 like this.
  12. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I can't......lol. Jumps like that scare the poop out of me. I can deal with fast, I can deal with technical, but when my wheels leave the ground .... nope nope nope lol.

Saiyan66 likes this.
  13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Let me know if you want me to film from the landing area.

RichB and shakazulu12 like this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Efffffff that

15. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

No one expects you to air it out your first time, gotta start on the bunny slope.

On that topic, I'm kinda half-heartedly shopping for a full suspension bike, any suggestions on a good frame to build around? I tend to find what I like and keep it a while (my road bike is now over 11 years old and I've upgraded over the years), so I don't need the latest.

What's the current trend with FS geometry? My hardtail is pretty modern geometry-wise, with a 130mm front travel w/ a fair bit of rake, and short chainstays. I have no idea how to spec a FS bike though.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Damn...my son is into this stuff and he thinks I'm nuts for track riding. One wipe-out and you're into a tree! No ambulance right there either. Just plain nuts............looks like fun though....:eek:

17. shakazulu12

We are truly blessed in my area to have everything from mild to wild. That same trail system has miles and miles of flowing descents will smaller jumps, all easily rollable and perfect berms that anyone can have a blast on. It's all winch up to descend, or shuttle though. Which has been great for my fitness since I'm usually on the trails before anyone else is and have to pedal everything.

18. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

The heat is finally about to break here. My HF bike rack aint gonna work with my bike so i had to order something else. I may just throw the bike in the back of my suv and hope it fits in the meantime.

19. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Are you gonna land it too, or just drop it??

Joking. Send it!

Pretty sure I’d drop off the side, I suck at wood features. Lol

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

didnt look terrible on the vid... the pedaling part would make me more nervous as Ive managed to fly off some 30' long balance beam type features that are only 4' off grade.
    Also our local wooden bridges & tree roots become "slippery when wet" Ive managed some pretty good get offs either pedaling or turning the front wheel...