1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2023 | Pre-Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 7, 2022.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was raised on four strokes. Even the times I borrowed a two stroke for a ride, I didn't think to cover the clutch. I just wasn't wired for it.

All my track pictures have my index finger on the front brake lever. Habit from the street.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

:crackup: I still do it on anything with handle bars. Scooters, bicycles, diesels, push mowers. . . Makes zero sense but what if this mower. . .

Mosquito foggers could be finicky with jetting. Too rich, lose power, too lean and you could seize.
    High side, baby, I’m in orbit and this is gonna Hurt! :crackup:

Robin172 likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The guy in the photo that he commented on is NOT on damn 2-stroke bike. :Poke:

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But if he was raised on them it’s a habit that’ll never go away.
    From some article I read a few years back the rider was saying that you almost never need to use the clutch while on track at speeds. Weird shit that sticks in your brain. Lol

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I get that. Same thing I used to do with the front brake: defensive riding learned on the street.
    But: the guy is on a four stroke. His finger is not on the clutch lever. Motion says it's ballsy. No, it's not.

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The computers can do it faster and way more efficient than a human can now. Only those raised in the before times will still have that habit. The nerd with the laptop back in the box is your finger on the clutch now.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I still run two fingers on the brakes. weirdly, Do that at the beginners va motorcycle course and they fail you.

BigBird likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What does that mean? :confused:

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't remember where I learned that. Must be from a magazine because it sure wasn't from a course.

Only used one finger because I could generate enough braking force in an emergency with just one. I moved the middle finger when I actually wanted to brake.

10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The guy in the pits tweaking your traction control Al Gore rhythm.

I know motion is talking about fingering the clutch in the event of a seizure, but guys also did it to modulate the power for traction control. The latter is who i'm refering to, and why you don't see it anymore. It's not really done "on the bike" anymore. About the only special thing guys do from the saddle now is feather the rear brake for anti wheelie, and only some of them do (did?)

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, I went pointer and index because a lot of the time I wanted to lead in soft and then quickly load up the front hard, bring up the rear and almost kicking the ass end out and then soft again. Ring finger and thumb controlling the throttle while my pinky was there for show and didn’t really do anything because it’s so messed up and worthless.
    Rear I tried filing out a slot or two in the pad so I wouldn’t over use it but that lead to other problems. I finally would “grease the rotor” a bit so the pads wouldn’t grab. If I could have I might have gotten rid of the rear entirely but that would have been stupid. Lol

12. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't get it. Yeah, we all know if you curl around the side of a modern good bike you can drag your elbow. Why bother?

cpettit likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've gotten into the habit of middle finger only because of how good the Hyper brakes are. I'm less likely to grab too much brake in an emergency with it compared to my forefinger. When really braking it'll either be middle or both.

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That's 'cos you're surreptitiously giving people the finger all the time.

ungwaha likes this.
  16. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

ABS takes care of that. Jus' sayin'.

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No ABS on the original Hypers.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Let it go, papa, let it go

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Probably just a photo opp.

BigBird likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

I like me some shoulder dragging when it's because of going fast and well blacked out bike :)