Moto2 rule change

Discussion in 'General' started by TRK, Oct 11, 2015.

1. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

To ensure that signals from quickshifter are exclusively used for that purpose, a standard six pin connector will now be mandatory. This will enable the technical staff to check that any signals from this component are not used for performance enhancing purposes.

What performance enhancing purposes could it be used for?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My memories real fuzzy but I seem to recall accusations that Marc Marquez was running some kind of traction control through his quick shifter, or something. Haven't heard anything about that since.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, if you're creative and have the cash there's quite a bit you can do that bend (or completely break) the rules. Whispers and rumors of cheating in the past.

Edit: Papa covered it well enough.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm assuming gear dependent fuel and ignition maps are not against the rules no?

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that's legal as the HRC ECU allows that stuff to be changed.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The ECU only allows pretty general adjustments to the fuel mapping. Neither fuel or ignition are gear dependent, just global.

7. yamahogg500

yamahogg500 Well-Known Member

MM had the fuel stay on during the shift. That was supposed to give him a slight HP advantage. Not that he needed it.

8. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Every little bit helps. It makes it easier to win if you have the talent and can use something to your advantage that others are not able to.

In a somewhat spec series in regards to engine building/tuning and tires...this would be a nice advantage to clear out of the close procession/pack racing sooner and escape possible carnage as turns are taken 2 and 3 wide quite often.

9. caferace

caferace No.

NEVER underestimate the craftiness of software engineers.

Seriously.

-jim

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I wonder if they packed an IMU into the QS.

11. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

That's what Volkswagen said!

12. caferace

caferace No.

You of all folks, know what can be done in the tiniest of modules. Give us access to the bus and the world is your oyster.

Speaking hypothetically, of course. :D

-jim

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

This could be yours for $6...you may have buy 999 extras for your friends...but still...:D

15. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Sw engineers are idiots firmware engineers now that's a different story. Or HW engineers :D

16. Knotcher

Sure. Search algos are easy.

17. caferace

caferace No.

At the 3 microsecond level.

Don't get me wrong. All props to old school guys that can code assembly all day long. But somebody has to make sure the chit is actually functional.

-jim

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The quickshifter itself intermittently moves relative to the vehicle, so I'm not convinced that an IMU is the processor being used.

The tech guys were particularly concerned about the harness and the number of signals in and out of the QS. QS can legally cut ignition, so maybe crank signal and throttle signal go in for rate of rise TC? Primitive TC beats no TC. I'm not sure exactly what they are doing.

19. Knotcher

Not sure what your point is. The choice of language doesn't determine the complexity of the problem solved.

There are some wicked, super-genius level people building things in managed code.

20. Knotcher

Um... not really? I mean, depends on how primitive I guess.