1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto America Twins could get (more) interesting.

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedWerks Racing, Mar 15, 2023.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

OK, I'll consede that point. Back in the D Production days, I felt that every FZR400 I beat on my Hawk should be ashamed, especially after I rode one of the FZRs.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Let's see ... that is 650cc vs 400cc, correct?

So to make any Honduh competitive, give it a 62.5% displacement advantage?

Once a Wanker.. and mattys281-2 like this.
  3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Even that was not enough, you had to build the shit out of it to be competitive with fzr400

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

No, the Yamaha has to have an extra 2 cylinders and an extra 5500 rpm in order to stay ahead of the Honda.

5axis likes this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

So I guess Honder can't count beyond two?

6. mattys281-2

mattys281-2 Well-Known Member

You would think with their sales volume, race history and engineering experience, one of the Japanese manufacturers would eventually be able to make an Aprilia killer that did NOT require $20k worth of engine work to be competitive.
    Guess you can always hope for 2024…

Once a Wanker.. and 5axis like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never saw that heavyweight oinker competitive other than in way way way full superbike mode to the point it was a different bike.

The 205 still makes me laugh :D

Once a Wanker.., YamahaRick and RRP like this.
  8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Hey, it is possible going downhill with a 60mph tailwind if someone changed the gearing. :D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm voting it wouldn't even hit that at terminal velocity dropped from a plane :D

10. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Even if the plane was on a treadmill?

11. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Damnit, I'd already written something snarky about a treadmill but stepped away for a few minutes before continuing. Oh well...

On a more serious note I felt like the RC51 was on par with its primary competition (the SV1000 and the TL). Maybe I was wrong. I know Stokes was mopping up with his Aprilia in those days so maybe it really was a sub-par bike. I loved it anyway ... except when I hated it for tossing me into the gravel trap.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Well this is what I found on the internet. Given the RC51 is probably less aerodynamic, but heavier, it probably isn't too far off.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The TL/SV1K Honda equivalent was the Superhawk. The RC51 was supposed to be the everyman's Duc 9xx

dtalbott and Waterboy like this.
  14. Tristan

I hope the thread title is tongue in cheek (or just realllly wishful thinking), as "exciting" and "new middlewight twin from Honda" simply don't go together.

15. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

16. Tristan

Bold claims...I'll believe it when I see a real dyno run

17. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

The RC was supposed to be the super-duper bike and competed against the TL-R and the Duc 9xx bikes. The TL-S was more like the SV1K, and Superhawk. I don't think Yamaha built anything for that category. I am probably wrong though - I usually am.

And we shouldn't leave out the amazing effort from Harley with the VR1000.....a little earlier but in the same vein.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

(engine built by Porsche)

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Have you seen an R7 frame?

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Superstock to Superstock it had nothing for the Suzukis.