1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mortgage/Credit Score

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, May 13, 2021.

1. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

FWIW, I'm not a fan of today's financial advisers, just due to the fees you pay them. If you have $100k, then fine, I can swallow 1%. But if you have $5M, then 1% or more every year is hard to swallow. I'd look for a fee only guy, or better yet, do the research yourself and find a passive investment firm and look into more index funds with crazy low fees. Over time, I'm convinced you make more going that route.

But I get some people don't want to know anything and are OK paying someone. If you're in the middle, you can still find guys to give you advice without the crazy fees attached to what your overall book size is.

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This man speaks the truth.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah that would suck, ours is a set fee not a percentage. I'm sure if I were more hands on and needy he'd charge more which I'd totally be fine with.

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

My understanding has always been that it's best to run all your inquiries at once, just like what you're describing for shopping the best finance deal. What you dont want is multiple inquiries spread out over the year like you're always shopping for credit. It's best to have them lumped in the same window as you'll only be getting the inquiry hit once, if that makes sense.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

That's right...Pretty much what i said a few pages back....

'FICO's algorithm will see/detect when somebody is car shopping. Dealers/banks should categorize an application/credit pull as such so that when somebody drops their SS # 30 times while rate shopping, FICO will count that as 1 hard inquiry. Having said that, often times that doesn't happen and a person might get smacked with 10 hard inquiries.

Lots of inquiries aren't that important as long as your credit file supports it. Somebody that has poor credit, low income and is trying to qualify for anything and everything, then those inquiries are red flags to potential lenders.'

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Must've missed it while skimming...that's a lot of posts, :crackup:. Also, I dont pretend to be very knowledgeable on this stuff, just enough to get by.

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm telling you all it's a frigging scam. My credit score just jumped up 70 points for no reason whatsoever. And I won't be shocked if it drops 50 next week.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

I saw that you can also pay the credit agencies now for a temporary credit score boost. If that ain't a scam, I don't know what else is.

TurboBlew, 418 and rd400racer like this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

funny... the older you get the less a good credit score means if you have some assets.
    I wonder how low can you tank a credit score getting a repo or foreclosure... but still retaining a hord of cash.

10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Not saying you're wrong, but where are you getting this information? If it's something like credit karma, I wouldn't necessarily go by that. I use CK as a consolidated source of information but I've learned not to trust their scoring. It's been off by as much as 100 points when it came down to me actually financing something. When I look back through every credit application over the last few years and the scores they reported back each time (mortgage, car loans, credit cards, etc.) I can see a steady progression. Whereas looking at CK, I see the wild fluctuations you're describing regularly. Just my .02. YMMV.

11. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I have seen my score move around for no apparent reason on Credit Karma...
    And when I was shopping for my truck in the spring. My score from Credit Karma and what the dealer pulled were about 100 points different.

12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Its like quantifying their bipolar ‘feelings’ on your spending habits. Im fortunate enough to own.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

The only thing new about that is they’ve taken out the middleman! While I think they’ve stopped the practice, there used to be brokers that would raise a score to 750-800+ in just a few months by taking advantage of the child/parent good credit transfer loophole.

BigBird likes this.
  14. gapman789

Guys, CK is a 'vantage' score...it's not a FICO score. CK is useless other than keeping track of your accts for FREE. CK is referred to as a "FAKO" score vs the real "FICO" scores used by lenders.

There are many variations of FICO....FICO 08 is the most commonly used, but FICO 09 is the latest algorithm and is being used more.

There are FICO bankcard, auto loan, mortgage scores...FICO 02, 03, 04....etc....

For those saying their scores have huge fluctuation for no reason, is just not correct unless a derogatory/negative acct was added/removed to one of or all 3 CRA's: TU, EQ or EX. There's a reason for any score movement.

When you pull your credit (scores), that's a snapshot in time. Your credit is changing by the second, literally. As your accts age, they gain history, which is calculated into the FICO algorithms.

YamahaRick and BigBird like this.
  15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The whole credit score is a steaming pile of bullshit and I am just glad I do not have to play their silly little game. I refuse to chase numbers and do the stupid shit I would have to do to get mine higher than it is. And being able to pay them to get a higher number shows what a farce it is. So if I pay you money and have less disposable income because of it we will make it easier for you to get a loan. The thing that made me laugh the hardest is when I paid off my mortgage and my credit score went down. That made zero sense.

rd400racer, 418, MachineR1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

17. gapman789

Who would you be paying to have a higher score?

If you have zero debt then the computers don't know if you're able to responsibly handle debt obligations....That's their take on it anyway. You could have $5 mil in your pocket and have terrible credit and unable to pay your utility bills on time or whatever.

Ultimately, paying your bills and keeping CC utilization % below 9% on 1 card is all anyone really needs to know. Time, credit age/history....will handle the rest. It's not really a game, there are just things to know about credit that will help everybody. Kinda like knowing when to beat rush hour traffic, or when the fresh bread is restocked at the store, or when to order tires before it's too cold to ship....shit like that. :) Tricks of the trade so to speak.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  18. Banditracer

If I had 5 million in my pocket why would I give a fuck about my credit score ? :crackup:

Besides the fact that I don't give a fuck now.

Phl218 and motion like this.
  19. gapman789

Because that million dollar yacht would be better to finance than buying with cash...Let the other $4 mil make the money to make the payment on the boat. So basically a free boat. duh. :crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  20. Banditracer

Here's a question. Does failure to pay a RRW Airfence Fund bet affect your credit score ?