1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mexico is calling... and I must answer

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 12, 2021.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Just the tip?

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

If he is parking in San Diego, what route do you think he's taking (basides, once 100km south of the border, Baja is some of the best ground around)?

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Things I'll never do: anything close to this trip. F mexico.
    When your buddy tells the story of a girl in their party disappearing, and being found stuffed full of drugs in the backseat of a car while they pretend she's sleeping to get across the border, you'll understand.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's the best part.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You don't like the rest of it?

Prude!

:D

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's what she said.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Well you can go south of the border at TJ and then over to mainland MX on a highway. Or park in SD and drive over to AZ and then cross into mainland MX.

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

@pscook hasn't chimed in to this thread yet so i'll ping him to get in touch - he and a few others are planning almost exactly that trip. i wanted to go but it conflicts with Daytona so I'll have to continue waiting.

motion likes this.
  9. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Let me know if you find Ambrose Bierce. He would so much love this decade.

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Of course you could. He could even do a hybrid going to Calexico and then to the mainland via Mx40. The question is -- given the obvious adventure objective of his trip - why would you? That drive/ride to El Gulfo sucks.

11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

As @tophyr said, I'm going to Baja that same time frame. We are crossing at Otay Mesa and heading South (duh). We are glamping on our trip, so it will cost us ~$100 a day including fuel, food, hotel, and whatever else. Probably less for me as I don't drink, but I like my sweets. We all have an addiction...

It's been really safe the last two years. I mean no issues at all once you leave the concrete jungles. Great roads, people, dirt, sand, food. I love it there and I can. not. wait.

scottn and motion like this.
  12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

The road from la Paz to Cabo is really nice via east cape. Then ferry from Cabo to mainland.

JBraun likes this.
  13. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Shit, I just looked at his FB, how long has he been missing?

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Approaching 3 years or so?

15. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Last post on Twitter and FB was July 17, so almost 4

16. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Road down to Ushuaia in 2019-20. Mexico and Central America were great. Very safe. Tons of good riding. Nice friendly people. Can’t wait to go back. Remember that the love motels are a great option for motorcyclists. Cheap and private so the bike is secure in a private garage, but they might look at you like you are crazy if you ask for the full night rather than just an hour or two.

motion likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Wait, you rode from USA to Ushuaia?

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'd like to do it for $50 per day all in x 35-40 days total. This is factoring in camping every other or every 3rd night, depending on what I can find for suitable camp spots.

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

upload_2021-2-12_20-19-55.jpeg
    Every other or every 3rd night?

motion likes this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No issue crossing the border either way as far as you know? Is TJ or Otay Mesa preferred?