1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanic rolling stool replacement seats?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I have three Big Red rolling mechanic stools, all three are in good shape except that the seat pads are worn out and flat. I hate to keep buying new stools and throwing out old ones (which never happens, they just accumulate), is there any place to get new seats for those things?

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Local upholstery shop. Gotta support the local businesses, and it'll be cheaper than buying a new one, and be a better quality seat.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

...Or DIY repair.

Tossed my old Craftsman cuz one of the casters failed - couldn't find one matching caster, and four cost more than a new stool. So, I bought one of these...
    46277_2000x2000.jpg
    Folding, magnetic side trays, single row screwdriver/t-handle rack on the back, drawers are good enough size.
    When I do track days, it becomes my toolbox...more than enough capacity for tire changes, control adjustments, minor work, etc.

I'm happy, except for the cushion that has since ripped and flattened. I'll DIY that shit when/if it starts to bother me.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

onb my big red, the casters broke. I use it to hold up calipers when doing brakes now

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

:stupid:

Or just go to a local fabric type place and get some "seat foam" and some vinyl. Cut foam to fit and cover with vinyl. Secure with tacks or glue as needed.

6. :stupid:

That’s your best bet. I’ve had my local place reshape and add padding to seats on Touring bikes. Doesn’t take long and super cheap.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you can’t find one local to you, I get forklift seats done semi regularly, you can drop it off with me and I will get it done for you.

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Get a car lift

Sabre699 and Gorilla George like this.
  9. Hotfoot

That's a very kind offer, thank you, you are always willing to help and I am glad to know you.

Good suggestions from everyone. Since I have three of them, I think I'll experiment on one of them with doing it myself and see how that works out. I've done replacement covers on bike seats, shouldn't be too different as long as I can find some good foam for the padding.

I'm surprised they don't sell new seats for them, we have counter stools in our stores and we routinely buy new seats for those (for about $20, or free if there is someone wanting to put their logo on them) when they get ripped, worn, or flat.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  10. Hotfoot

Hm, that's a pretty good idea! I guess I'll also need one of those stacker trailers, for the track. :)

GRH and Gorilla George like this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Actually just went there today and dropped off some seats. He wasn't there for me to ask what he thought the price would be?

12. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

When I get around to it, Vanson Leathers.

13. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Always have a chuckle when southern folks refer to them as “haul asses.”

14. I like this dude’s approach to problem solving. :D