Masters of the Air

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 4, 2024.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you liked Band Of Brothers and The Pacific, y'all have 3 weeks to get your Apple TV+ subscription sorted out. :clap:

05Yamabomber and backbone like this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Can I use your login?

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Ain't got one. It came with cable.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Viewing party at Papa's???

flygirl likes this.
  5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Those were both great movies. Watched on netflix. This also sounds good but dont have apple TV

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The Pacific fell a bit short of Band of Brothers but I'll still watch em both. Really hard to beat BOB.

stk0308, ungwaha and backbone like this.
  7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Interesting that there are no comments on this show since it started airing.

Just watched episode 1.

No entirely convinced I'll bother with ep2.....

8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

1. I watched the first two episodes. I’ll #3.

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i will go look for it!

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Watched episode 1 last night. The show doesn't seem as "real" as Band of Brothers or The Pacific but it was worth wasting the time. The battle scenes were pretty graphic but from what I've read and watched previously they seem accurate. I'm going to want episode 2 and decide from there.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Why not just watch 12 o'clock high? (TV or movie)

12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

This is the modern remake into a mini series. Minus the in-depth leadership story lines or a cool mug on the fireplace hearth. …and CGI instead of real B-17s.

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Not BOB quality but happy to have it to watch

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I woke up last weekend in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. Whatever channel I was watching had 12 O'Clock High, followed by The Rat Patrol and then Combat. I loved Rat Patrol when I was a kid. It somehow hasn't stood the test of time for me. Seemed incredibly corny considering you can watch actual combat footage on the History Channel now that's the real deal and not censored at all.

backbone and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I remember that being on when I was a kid, very briefly. It had to be taken off as it caused a huge outcry from blokes who actually fought in the desert as the American forces did none of what was depicted in the show which was actually carried out by the the SAS.

CBRRRRR999 and tl1098 like this.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Damn good point, and the 8 year old kid I was back then didn't know the difference.

17. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

It was 'Hogan's Heros' and 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' for me.

CBRRRRR999, R Acree and rd400racer like this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Jeebus! It was a TV show. You know, it's like six shooters with infinite rounds, ditto for the machine guns. I never ran out of ammo when I was a kid playing army...just like on the tube. Somehow I doubt the TV bomber guys could survive 3 years flying over Germany every week (at 10:00 pm east coast time) with an attrition rate of 16%.....But they did (at least on TV).

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Was the Rat Patrol the show with guys on two army jeeps in the desert with each a machine gun setup on the back?

Jed likes this.
  20. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I don't think a TV show in the US showing the Pacific Islands being taken one by one by the Royal Navy and British forces would have gone down too well here. It was only 25 years or so since the desert war took place and a lot of those blokes felt that it was bit of an insult to suggest that it was the US forces who were involved in that part of the campaign with a token Brit thrown into the mix to give it authenticity.

Yes.