1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Yeah some of that ELR stuff is kinda like ehh I guess shooting 10 times and finally hitting a barn is cool … or just use a mortar

2. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

To me if it isn't a first round hit on a man sized target it doesn't count for spit.

Steak Travis likes this.
  3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I'm inclined to start to believing the Weatherby hype, this 270 Weatherby Mag is smoking 130 grain barnes at 3400fps thru a pretty thin hunting barrel, not the highest BC bullet around but the rifle certainly likes them. [​IMG]

cbush, Clay, MachineR1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Weatherby is some good stuff. We've got a couple and my Dad's "Green gun" old Weatherby 270 has taken a loooooooooot of game

lizard84 likes this.
  5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Damn, sounds like a hot load. That's 200fps faster than anything in the Hornady manual.

I have a load for my 284 Shehane that I can get 3340fps+ with a 140 VLD. Had to go to a slower twist if I wanted to keep the bullets together though.

lizard84 likes this.
  6. lizard84

I haven’t checked with a chrono but that’s was Weatherby is claiming for their Select Plus Barnes 130 TTSX, good shooting stuff, it should be for what they’re charging.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Barnes can be really finicky bullets, so if your shoots them well, consider yourself lucky.
    And yeah, anything Weatherby is going to be super premium priced.

8. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get an AR10 (308) to be accurate for some time and not had great success. I've made one more attempt and think I finally did it. I went yesterday to zero my scope and shoot some basic rounds. I just loaded up some 147gr FMJ with a standard load. Then some 178gr ELDM just to see how they compared. There is very little data to go on for this round so I had to guess and compare loadings with other bullets in this range. My scope is also not a high end for trying to get sub MOA. So this is 10 rounds with a new upper and a bullet I just threw in and a scope that isn't suited for this purpose. I can most definitely pull this a lot tighter! Oh, and this is also after 30 rounds of the 147, so the barrel was quite warm.

[​IMG]

9. lizard84

Just my opinion but for MOA or Sub-MOA I’d forget the bullets in the 147-150 range, the 178’s were better but I’ve had my best luck with 167’s.

As for Aero gear I’ve also found more
    accuracy in the stainless steel barrels.

10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I was just shooting the 147 to see how low tier bullets would do. Honestly they were coming in around 2 moa which I was surprised by. I've not gotten the 178s to shoot well in ANYTHING, so I was thrilled to see that. I'm sure with some tuning if the load and putting my good scope on, I can get that to well below MOA. I've got another 300 of those bullets, so glad something shoots them well. I also have the 175 and 168 Sierra TMKs on hand, so I'm sure I can make something high quality with those. The 168s have been the best I can get with several guns. Oddly enough, my bolt action loves the 155gr ELDM.

[​IMG]

lizard84 likes this.
  11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The 168 Sierras are not a long range bullet. 600 is OK, but they will destabilize before 1000.
    What twist rate is the AR?

12. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

The TMK sure should be with a BC of 535 above 2050fps. I'm not talking about the SMK.

1:10

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Ah, yes, missed the TMK part. They are still borderline at distance, especially at gas gun speeds.

14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Out of a 20" it should handle 1000. However that's not my main desire. My bolt action (Benelli Lupo) is the 1000y gun. I just want one AR10 that's highly accurate. I built me a 15 that shoots half MOA all day with my 77gr SMK load I worked up.

15. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i have a pretty good chance at a bull elk tag this year (AZ). my current long range .308 uses a lapua case, 175 gr sierra matchking hollowpoint boattail bullet in a load ive developed. it is accurate on an 18" plate at 1000 yds out of my long range AR-10 as well as my bolt rifle.

i used the same load in my hunting .308 for hogs numerous times with great success, my hunting rifle is a savage scout, 18" barrel, long eye relief scope since it is mounted forward. i want to use the savage scout for this elk hunt (dont want to buy another rifle) so im looking at reloading the same cases i use for long range stuff with these: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010398193?pid=185355 i dont really care about BC because i dont plan to take any shots past 300ish yards. just picked it because its copper and the same grain weight ive been reloading for the long range rifles that the scout seems to like.

thoughts? @CB186 you seem to know what you are talking about.

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I’m glad I bought my Bad Rock 6.5 Creedmore last year. I checked the web site last night and the same Rifle is now $1000 more than I paid.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The Barnes are a great performing bullet, but be aware that they can be very finicky to get to shoot well. They are significantly longer, so they will be loaded deeper into the case. This reduction in case capacity as well as being a copper bullet will increase your pressures, so you will need to work up a new load.
    They tend to like a bigger jump(.080"-.150").

socalrider likes this.
  18. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Great advice, thank you. Gonna work up a bunch of loads in the first box of 50 and the. Hopefully build a batch with the second box. I want copper because I "think" I'm being more ethical. That's a huge debate but it's something I'd like to try even though AZ doesn't require it. Also on a big bull those matchking hpbt are not the right bullet even though I know my rifle likes them.

19. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I’ve been using Nosler Accubond 165gr in 308 for elk. Last season I took a cow at 460 yards with this round from the same rifle I use for PRS and field matches. Have also used the same round for mule deer and other elk in the last few seasons. It’s been reliable for me.

https://www.nosler.com/308-win-165gr-accubond-trophy-grade-ammunition.html

MachineR1 and socalrider like this.
  20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

That Larue Siete looks pretty good. just wish you could opt out of the second barrel for less cost. I know some would like the second unit but, I really dont see the need for it. the Springfield 2020 waypoint looks great too. any thoughts?
    Ski