1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locking your stuff up at the track

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerBlade, May 24, 2023.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I figured the odds that it randomly happened to you were not great. Still…:D

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

cbush likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well, here's what I know.

1. I know Huffdaddy didn't assemble a motor so dirty that the number 3 cylinder water jacket becomes completely plugged.
    2. I know I have never showed up to the track with the radiator cap not wired.
    3. I know the sample I sent off to be analyzed came back as sandy soil.

The cap safety wire missing was a trigger I ignored that should have made me look closer that morning. That's my fault for not stopping to look closer knowing my habits.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

So you started the bike for a session? How long did it run? Was this your 400 Interceptor?

5. Venom51

Ran for 2 sessions before it exploded. No the VFR400 had a wrist pin clip fail once. We stopped that one before it completely died. This was an 08 CBR 600 that we had the crank welded and re-ground to take 10 cc of stroke out of each cylinder to bring it down to 560cc to compete better in F2 than the 400 could.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I remember seeing that VFR at Barber years ago....sweet machine.

7. Venom51

It's out in the garage of a washed up has been wanna be racer. :D

SuddenBraking and Razr like this.
  8. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

just enjoy..track time and camp...gives piece and mind and promise won't. loose anything or pieces of your mind stay by your stuff ...who needs a hotel?? it's all part of the fun. unless thousand$%$ will support you in A room. .
    rich man's sport in one sense but the poor man keeps it moving stay with your stuff slept in truck numerous nights..or tent. paid for it and my cycle is My precious!!! and a hell no...never was more than few feet away.....us slower guys have just as much investment in order to do it...keep it in sight.

9. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Never a worry at Blackhawk or Road America. Things got locked up at Autobahn.

Thats all I got.

969 likes this.
  10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Stay at the track....... Nothing better than drinking your coffee after Tech Inspection watching everyone else scramble...... It must be different in the South than the North... Outside of MotoJoe getting his bike messed with I have heard of nothing being stolen or vandalized...

TurboBlew, MELK-MAN and 418 like this.
  11. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

In 25+/- years of racing I can count the number of times I stayed in a motel on race weekend on one hand easily. Staying at the track is way better!(for more reasons than just security)

Banditracer likes this.
  12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Someone at BHF cranked all the adjusters on a racers forks to full stiff. Another racer had the banjo bolts to his calipers loosened over night at BHF.

Someone lifted a wallet at Road America while out on the track. Thief was using the victims cc at a store in Plymouth while the victim was out racing.

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's actually a long list in the south east including broome and some others on here

14. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Good grief, glad I don't live in this paranoid world being posted up. Sky still up there, and vast majority of people are still good folks. Know your surroundings and just be adults.

BrentA and Razr like this.
  15. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Never had an issue. Have never locked anything up at the track. I'd like to believe everyone there is as honest and chill as I'd like to be.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  16. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I have never had a problem. I trust the racers and their crew, but I do lockup a few things. Tracks that have more spectators roaming around, I tend to lockup almost everything at night or away for some reason.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  17. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

remember in 2013 when someone messed with all the bikes in our garage over night? Went out for group 1 practice and my throttle was stuck open and bike split in half in T3. garagemate's tank was full of paper towels. another had his suspension settings backed out. another had their brake level backed out.

18. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

I remember that, but I didn't know that was the reason behind your bike's 2 for 1 yard sale. I'm pretty sure I still have pictures of that on my phone (your bike laying on the trailer). I've had my bike messed with a few times, same with garage-mates ... but never to the point where a crash would be inevitable. I also remember the story JohnnyB mentions of the bike being stolen in broad daylight 15 years ago. The most I've had stolen was an iPhone (same time someone on the other-side of the workbenches had his stolen too). It was a classic weekend, back when lots of John Q. Public types wandered in, around, and through the paddock & garages. I happened to be out of the garage for 5-10 minutes, but still others nearby in their bays. They were pretty adept because, when I realized it was gone, I tried to quickly use the "Find My Phone" app on another device, but the phone was no longer in service. :(

19. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

was the first lap of my first new custom suit. saved up for it and was trashed instantly. even the block on the motor split open. that was a nasty wreck.

20. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

"I'm looking for the motherfucker that stole my scooter!".... lol