1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightweight alternative to racing leathers

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 3, 2023.

1. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

2. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's there was a company called TrimTex that made Kevlar DragRacing Suits...cool concept, light weight, abrasion resistant..

4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

And single use. Back when they were new I saw 2 in actual use. One was completely smoked after a simple slide. The shoulder tore open.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If it hasn't been said the Roo suits are so ridiculously light I doubt anything synthetic will compare. They are stupid light, like "this can't possibly be right" light.

6. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

An earlier post in this thread lists weights that suggest differently.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Agree... I'm not seeing any data that suggests roo is more than 30% (at most) lighter than cowhide.

cbush likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

9. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Regardless of the weight of the leathers, I’d be happy if someone could invent leathers that don’t magically shrink from one season to another….

Jeveritt likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

]
    Why anyone would wear anything but Vanson, Z or Bates in drag bikes (with some nomex underwear) is beyond me. Weight doesn’t matter and you have that ultra violent crash. Not just no but double fuck no!
    Well, unless it’s to pick of chicks of course. :D

Britt likes this.
  11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Some of these weights seem really high. Just weighed my AGV leathers, right at 11lbs. That with the armor in there, including the back protector. They're old (2003) and been crashed in a few times, but mostly at lower speeds. Only high speed crash was on grass, so it's not like I wore a bunch of the leather off.

12. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I ran that suit all of last year. It definitely seems lighter, although I haven't weighed it. The freedom of movement is the main thing for me. It's so much better than your typical leather suit.

motion likes this.
  13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Ed Key and Gary Gibson wore Trim suits back in the day. Ed stayed with fabric suits all of his career. I don't remember who made his last ones. I had a fabric suit made in the mid 80's by Lancer Leathers. It crashed pretty good.

Britt likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kevlar sucked, yeah it was abrasion resistant but it also was way more likely to grab the pavement and start the rider tumbling.

Britt likes this.
  15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Heat transfer also plays a part at some point. ill stick with leather

16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a little incident I saw when we were at Road America watching the AMA races back in the day: We were at the kink when we saw this dude fall off in a kinda weird way and he winds up sliding waaaaay down the track. He gets up and looks ok then all of the sudden he realizes that the friction got his leathers mighty hot, and he's doing this dance while trying to unzip and unass his leathers ASAP. We laughed pretty good watching that one!

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My first one like that was T12 Road Atlanta, I still remember the sparks coming from the studs on his gloves - following quickly by him yanking his gloves off :D

18. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

Always wondered why kevlar suits didn't look more like Gila Monster skin - beaded, so they would slide and wear a lot more gracefully. Just not hot fix rhinestones - I'm guessing the figure skater look shouldn't, uh, cross over into roadracing....

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I'm shocked that Motoport is still in business, anyone else?