1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightweight alternative to racing leathers

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Once you are good enough here to get a WSBK (etc., etc.) Moto2, etc., or MotoGP ride that moves you to Europe that team helps/forces you to get into leathers and other products that they feel will provide a more light-weight/protection package. And at this level ounces mean everything, so these suits only needed to protect you for THAT one crash. Why? Because at this level you have 5 sets of leathers, gloves, and boots in your trailer along with 6 helmets, etc.

And this means your US leather sponsor probably will get thrown out when you go overseas. And I know this from being the NA Teknic Sales manager and watching sponsored riders (our brand and others) changing when they went needed to get to Europe and race.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yep. Nicky Hayden tried to bring Joe Rocket with him to MotoGP.
    Wasn’t successful.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And now you know why.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

$5K or even $10K doesnt really sound like they're throwing a lot of money at any potential benefits of shaving several pounds. I'm just arguing for arguing's sake :)

5. StaccatoFan

Like I said, I was probably low-balling...that's just the cost of the suit...NOT the R&D behind it....I'd suggest they recoup those costs in selling to the Consumer.
    The suits to sponsored teams/racers are or could be considered advertising costs.

I'm just speculating to just argue back at you....but trying to think somewhat logically in my speculations.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

His Joe rockets were not Joe rocket.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Same as early alpinestars were not alpinestars. ;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not true though. I can recall a couple times seeing guys going out for sessions in scuffed up leathers they had crashed in a previous practice/qualifier etc. And this was in MotoGP even. I know I can't be the only one who noticed this. Doesn't happen alot, but I know I've seen it.....I thought it odd at the time for the reasons you mentioned above.

Had one of those MotoGP 'roo suits back in the day. Definitely the lightest suit I ever wore. Miss that thing.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Here's what chatgpt says on the subject:

Me: What is the lightest motorcycle racing suit for roadracing?

ChatGPT: The lightest motorcycle racing suit for road racing can vary depending on the manufacturer and the materials used. However, some popular options for lightweight road racing suits include:

• Alpinestars Supertech R: This suit is made from a combination of leather and high-performance textiles and is known for its light weight and breathability.

• Dainese Assen Perforated Leather Suit: Made from perforated leather, this suit offers excellent ventilation while still providing good protection.

• REV'IT! GP-Pro Leather Suit: This suit is made from a combination of leather and stretch material, offering a good balance of protection and comfort.
    It's important to note that while a lighter suit may be more comfortable to wear, it may not necessarily offer the same level of protection as a heavier suit. It's important to choose a suit that strikes the right balance between weight, comfort, and protection to meet your specific needs.

Me: how much lighter is a kangaroo motorcycle racing suit than a cowhide motorcycle racing suit

ChatGPT: The difference in weight between a kangaroo leather and a cowhide leather motorcycle racing suit can vary depending on the specific suit and the manufacturer. On average, a kangaroo leather racing suit can be up to 50% lighter than a cowhide leather racing suit. This difference in weight can make a significant impact on the rider's comfort and performance during a race, as lighter equipment allows for more freedom of movement and reduced fatigue. However, it's important to note that the lighter weight of kangaroo leather may also come with a tradeoff in terms of durability and abrasion resistance, so it's important to choose a suit that offers the right balance of weight and protection.

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

For a pro, sure go light. For me? I can appreciate lightness and flexibility but I've been burnt by sliding friction too. I think the extra insulation of cow hide is OK.

JBall likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Whenever I see anything that reads like this in response to a query on the internet, I immediately switch to another result cuz this one is completely canned and based on zero experience. In other words, pretty much useless for anyone that already has half a clue...

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There are guys in MotoGP who crash more than 20 times per year. At $10k a pop, someone might notice.

13. StaccatoFan

I"m sure the crashed suits go back to the Custom shoppe and have damaged parts replaced to look good as new and reused (IF possible). If I'm not mistaken, A-Star, as an example, I think has leather taylors that travel as part of the MotoGP circus doing repairs on site. I thought I saw that somewhere.

But with that being said, also consider that these team's (MotoGP) have budgets just for brakes at $500K/year...so if the rider crashes 20 times and even it $200K was expended on suits,
    but the rider is able to race all year, or even wins a title....probably worth it.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What's Bautista's bill come to?

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You think the teams or riders are paying for the suits? Majority are getting paid to wear ‘em and even the riders at the lower end of the finishing order are at least getting free shit.

Some teams have sponsorship deals with leather, helmet and/or other gear manufacturers so they are the ones getting the dough but, very few are coughing up the cheddar.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

One or another, somebody is paying for it and if it cost them $10K a pop to replace some new-technology ultralightweight disposable suits, they would ask themselves if it's worth it.

17. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

That’s surprising. What size suits?

My RS Taichi 107 with Techair is 17 lbs and my Misano 2 Dair is 14 lbs (both size eu52). I always thought the 107 was a heavy suit.

18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

You mean to tell me Team 7-11 didn't ride off the rack Huffy bikes in the 80s Tour de France races?

19. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

The A* is a 56. Im 6'1" and 210

20. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if astars had more than a grand into the actual cost of each suit (not including the airbag). The main cost is the labor to have someone stitch it together. They are all full custom but its not like they are measuring each guy every time and hand cutting the leather. Its basically all cut by the computer, all logos printed on, etc. And they do replace sections if the entire suit isn't trashed. Now the cost of the infrastructure for all that is huge, but the end result is they are able to whip up a suit very quickly for what I am betting is not a ton of money. Look how quick they will have full custom designed suits for last second fill in rides. Its pretty incredible really.