1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

leather cleaning and repairs, lettering and alterations

Discussion in 'Other' started by barnacle bill, Apr 18, 2017.

1. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

Just letting you guys know we are not backed up at all right now. I'm actually drafting a pattern for a flat track suit today so I'm around if you want to call and talk. 859 336 7375

2. Keith Zorn

Keith Zorn Member

Hey Bill, I just shot you an email about some suit alterations. Let me know if that's something you can handle for me.

3. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

Can you repair gloves?
    [​IMG]

4. barnacle bill

I can see from that tear that the leather looks compromised . how old is that suit? is that a shoulder ?or an elbow? what brand is it. that is probably a 40.00 repair if the leather will hold a stitch.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  5. barnacle bill

waldo we can do some repairs on gloves. we can stitch in a palm patch. we can hand stitch finger seams back up and replace wrist velcro . we can't replace any plastic or metal parts. there is a 20 minimum on a glove. b bill

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  6. barnacle bill

I 'm turning 4 suits around for riders this wked that came in on friday. They will go out tomorrow. we don't take credit cards or paypal. if you need a rush job I can give you a quote. you put the cash in the pocket with your own UPS return label ( saves a lot of hassle) . If the job turns out to be less than the quote we know how to make change. That's how it works. bill and darethea

7. barnacle bill

OK Waldo I see that's a glove now . I had that guy with the suit on my mind. looks like it is time for new gloves. It's the sweat that kills them. b bill

8. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

The funny part is the gloves look brand new. The failure is at the stitches.
    [​IMG]

9. barnacle bill

well try pulling on that leather and see how easy it tears. that's a good way to test it. tears like that is the fault of the leather not the stitches.if it tears like paper the leather was probably compromised before the gloves were built. depending on the part of the world they came from that leather could have been cured in animal urine , no kidding . you've only got one pair of hands. I wouldn't trust them to those gloves. toss them and buy better. my best advice . thanks, bill and darethea

10. barnacle bill

PS. age is a big factor too. sweat kills glove.

11. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

I hear ya, just bummed because they fit so well. I have a hard time finding gloves to fit my hands. My fingers are short and my knuckles are wide. Do you know any gloves makers who fit my type of hands?

12. barnacle bill

sorry we don't . my hands are big as ball gloves so I just order the largest glove I can get. that usually works for me.

13. barnacle bill

bump it, bump it good. going into fall. I'm mostly in the shop in the mornings. and I'm mowing or working on a boat in the afternoon. I plan to do a little fall sailing so if darethea doesn't get to the phone quick enough . leave a message so we can get back to you. thanks, bill and darethea

14. barnacle bill

MVC-005S6.jpg Vintage Flat Track we built.

15. WERA#190

WERA#190 Well-Known Member

Location for shipping!!

16. barnacle bill

barnacle bill's
    1106 logan road
    springfield, ky 40069
    859 336 7375

17. barnacle bill

still here still working. We've all had that cold thing going around someone brought in to me but I'm better now. more pictures on Barnacle Bill's Leather Repair on facebook . bump.

18. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Just want to double check that you can fix or replace zippers?

19. barnacle bill

yes we can.

20. barnacle bill

Bump. it's March the season is upon us. still time to get those leathers ready. I have noticed several of suits are coming in with some mildew and or mold in or on them. if it's not too bad we can get that out. If your suit is stored in an unheated garage go check it out . suits need ventilation and they need to be dry. an ounce of prevention ... well you know the rest. thanks, bill and darethea