1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest batch of HD diesel trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Fuel mileage and maintenance costs are the two arguments used the most, but they're also the most subjective. But this test pool of data of a singular vehicle platform (with unknown criteria) from one person is now the end all be all?

For whatever reason, there seems to be some very frail egos within the gas truck owner groups, hence the overbearing justifications seen online. Is my diesel expensive? Sure fuckin' was to buy. Is it also going to sell for much more than the exact same truck/trim that has a gas motor? Sure will. Is it difficult to have an exact $ measurement as to which one is the better option when everybody's situation is different? Sure is.

It also doesn't downshift on every slight little incline and guzzle gas fast enough that it adds another fuel stop for most of my trips.

If I wanted to make decisions based on finances completely, I wouldn't be racing motorcycles to begin with...

skidooboy, JBall and BC like this.
  2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Not to mention, his source lied about the numbers right off the bat..........by $5k-10K

3. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I have an 02 F350 7.3 with about 320k
    Had to replace the turbo a few K ago and had some odd oil lines blow oil all over the place.
    Oh, had a rear seal go bad and oil the clutch around 200k. Other than that its been amazing.
    It's not very fast but will pull anything.
    Almost every single mile on this truck has been under some type of load.
    It's beat to hell now but I don't think i will ever sell it.
    It's got the 6 speed manual too.
    Damn, guess I need to go buy batteries so I can start using it again. lol

fastfreddie likes this.
  4. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Worst part about owning a diesel: waiting for the owner of the Honda Civic to get back from going inside to use the ATM, bathroom, and buy some beef jerky while their car is parked in front of the only diesel pump. I'm generally very patient, but this bothers me to no end.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Even worse being a truck driver, when some flip-flopper goes inside to drop a deuce, shave, brush their teeth, look around the C-store, all in the quest to grab their 30min break and not be forced to back into a parking space, because Punjab trucking school didn’t teach them how to do that.

tony 340 likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Y'all just need to accessorize. :D

7. Wheel Bearing

You forgot to mention the part where every single other pump that's gas pump only are wide open. The Civic just chose the one station with the diesel pump.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Every f'n time

9. Wheel Bearing

One other thing I didn't really see mentioned it <insert more personal justification here>, but the exhaust brakes on the newer diesels are quite spectacular. I know you can add aftermarket ones, but in the case of my old 2004 Ram with the 5.9, you couldn't without building the 48RE first. The OEM one in the newer 6.7's is just amazing. It provides a level of comfort in towing that I can't have a [diesel] truck without one now. I know some gas trucks have some kind of engine brake assist, but I don't think any of them are on par with a diesel exhaust brake.

cav115 and BC like this.
  10. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

^ True. Combine that with a manual trans and you truly have amazing control over your rig while towing.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I don't think you need a manual trans to have "amazing control". The exhaust brake is certainly nice going down steep grades like I-80 from Reno to Sac and I5 Grants Pass in southern Oregon.
    Also having the ability to carry 75 gallons of auxillary fuel is also a game changer for longer drives.

ducnut likes this.