1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest batch of HD diesel trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I always wanted to have more truck and brakes than I had trailer. The tail wagging the dog is a problem with poorly thought out pulling setups.

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I'm a big fan of my 7.3l trucks. Simple, and do a good job.

969 likes this.
  3. stickboy274

I agree. That's why I've added sway bars, airbags, load leveling/antisway/anti bounce things to both trucks.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

We service all makes of diesel fleets.

The Cummins is hands down the best out there.

With the exception of emmisions ( all makes suffer), the Cummins are the best as far as power/durability.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re pulling this out of context. I simply stated that an accountant over on THT ran the numbers. Then, you start with this justification crap. I’m not justifying; I just made a statement. The dude factored purchase prices, maintenance costs, fuel costs, fuel mileage, resale, etc, put it all in a spreadsheet format and showed the facts. You can spout off about resale all you want, but, it was factored and it does NOT offset the rest. You don’t have to like it. I don’t care. But, math doesn’t lie. I’m done.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I think the EGR bullshit came out around around 2004 or late 2003.

If you want a true old school million mile pickup truck search before those dates

FYI the new motors put out stupid amounts of power and the new transmissions eat it up well. All great stuff.....until it breaks

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

2004.5 began the age of EGR and catalytic converters.

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Alex, I hope this truck is not going to be your daily driver.

An F150 is OK as one, but the F250 is not ... the ride is rough unless you are carrying a load or towing a significant trailer.

9. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

And first half of 07 :)

10. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I have friends ask me all the time why I recently ordered and bought an F-350 4x4 SRW. I don't currently own any trailer besides an 8'x5' utility trailer. I've rented some different length camper trailers over the years, and ruled out a big 5th wheel trailer, though I ordered the 5th wheel prep package, for resale value. No idea what I'll end up towing, but I don't expect to get near the GVWR of my truck. 3" receiver hitches are harder to find options on, however.

11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

My F-350 4x4 is the best riding truck I've ever owned. Way better than my Excursion or E-350!

Motofun352 likes this.
  12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My F350 is hands down the best riding truck I've ever owned, empty or full. For comparison my '79 F200 was an absolute buck board unless it had a full load in the bed, My current '95 K2500 farm truck is not much better. The F350 is a limo be comparison.

13. stickboy274

We have a F350 LB DRW CC and a F250 4x4 SB CC. The 350 is the best most planted tow vehicle I've owned. I have been surprised when I look back and see someone tailgating me. It's the trailer. I forgot it was there. It's a horrible around town vehicle.

The 250 is really good at both towing and daily driving. I would change the rear end gear if it only towed. It wants to run 75+ with the trailer to get to the sweet spot for power, but at that speed, the aero drag adds another fuel stop on even short trips. It would be a good daily that tows once a month or so.

I still use my Transit Connect for my daily, but the 250 is getting more time lately as I do more things to make it like my 350.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Haven’t done much heavy towing with my dually, but my aught-tree SRW did a fuckton and other than the heavier than I’d like squat when the fifth wheel was on, that thing towed like a dream.

And I’ll take my tonners for the driving experience over the toy trucks any day and twice on Sunday. This Eff One Fiddy I just fixed pitches and rolls and bounces, while my parole truck is planted and feels like it wants to stay on the road.

Might have something to do with my corner entry speeds and braking habits, though. ;)

Once a Wanker.. and stickboy274 like this.
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The brakes on my F350 dually work like a bastard. I could have a trailer brake failure and not be too concerned.
    It also rides well empty.
    I always felt like it would be risky going into turns at speed, what with 1000lbs of industrial iron under the hood, thinkin' it would just plow. Nope. Proper turn entry, then acceleration = driftin' like a school bus. :D

My F250 4x4 rode like a buckboard wagon when empty and comfortably firm with two rolls of hay in the bed - somewhere between 1200-2800lbs.
    Its true grace was four-wheel drifts coming off the highway. Loved the howl of four BFGs in harmony. :D

16. stickboy274

I think the big reason I don't like my 350 for a daily is how long/wide it is. It's 24+ x 9ish. Ironically, that's also why it's such a great tow vehicle.

Once a Wanker.. and fastfreddie like this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's the main reason I want a supercab vs my crewcab, ~2' less turning radius and overall length. I'll still take the dually part, but I'm thinkin' the diesel can go, too.
    If one of these TV show level builders wants to turn my crewcab into a supercab and convert it to a manual 4x4, I'll keep the 7.3PS.
    I want to do the same thing with my '02 JGC, too - four doors to two, manual. Of course that restomod will be as offroad biased as a street legal machine can be whereas the dually just needs to get out of a muddy field with a trailer tied to its ass.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t design parking lots for rickshaws :mad:

Pretty fucking bad when you can’t park your dually at the lumber yard.

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Nothing better for grumpy old men than a walk.:Poke:

Go to the back of the parking lot like a man.

This backfired on me terribly on Christmas eve one year. Took my f350 lariat, was an 06, beeeeuuuutiful truck....we had a 45 degree day, went to car wash, vacuumed, did wheels and tires, went to gander mountain in to shop.....parked all the way at the back. I come outta the store and there's a fucking jeep all over my truck with nobody in it. This poor dude parked his old ass jeep and the parking brake failed when he walked in the store. I had the unfortunate parking position of saving it from rolling into the retention pond. Crazy. Guy had his Allstate claims adjuster come to work on Monday and made it right.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You’ve obviously never seen the payload I pull out of Home Depot on the regular. Their carts would disintegrate trying to make it that far across the lot with that load. :D

What I really like, though, are the doucheknuckles in their Duracellmobiles parking in the contractor parking or loading zone parking. :mad: