1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevin Schwantz

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is a 20 dollar cut at a no name shop near the house and a morning of sweat :crackup:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you ever run across him like that again just say hi. He is still just a racer and a truly nice guy. Saying hi like you would to any other racer you run across is not going to be a bother.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Yeah but you only had $10 on you...

Shenanigans, YamahaRick and G 97 like this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

I was thinking $5.

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I can't remember but I think I was sitting next to you at the bar at Seibkens. I look over and Schwantz is on the other side of me. I said hello and we shook hands and he signed a Seibkins menu for me.

G 97 likes this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I remember that.

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Not KS, but quick story of just saying hey and treating those guys like real people.

I was in Cali years and years ago in the height of West Coast Choppers/Monster Garage etc. Fame. Wife and I drove down to check out his shop and his city block of buildings.

I'm hanging out at one of the gates looking into the shop, away from the crowd of people. As I'm standing there, I hear from behind me, "Excuse me, I need to get in there." Oh, I'm sorry I responded and stepped to the side. As the guy, who had on a hat/hoodie all stealthy like, goes into the gate, one of the shop dogs comes running up to him and makes him stop and pet him. That's when I saw the "Pay Up Sucker" tattoo and was for certain it was JJ.

So, as he stood up, I said..."Hey, you really build a remarkable bike and I've had the pleasure of riding one of your custom choppers. Keep on doing your thing man. And I threw my fist out for a fist bump."

JJ just looked at me and said, "Thanks..but was hoping you wouldn't recognize me, trying to avoid being mobbed by the crowd up there motioning towards the crowd/front of the building " I laughed and said the secret was safe with me.

He walked off and my wife and I hung out for a few minutes more and started walking towards the showroom to get a shirt when I hear some guy yell, "Hey!" I stopped and turned around like me?

Dude said yeah and waved for me to come back over to the gate....he said Jessie really appreciated you being chill and told me to give you a shop tour. I was like, Hell Yeah....so we got a 15 minute tour and a couple free shirts.

9. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I like jj , seems like a no bullshit guy . Grouchy and misunderstood but a master of his craft

10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I used to work fast food, and at a gas station in high school on one of the main hwy corridors (401) in Ontario. Made burgers, and pumped gas for quite a few celebs and athletes on their travels. I never did get star struck by any, or even cared all that much. Just treated them like normal people to which they all seemed to appreciate. Never once asked for an autograph or picture with any. Just maybe a quick thumbs up and a "hey, you were great in xyz movie" etc. to keep their presence quiet and moved on. I was way more into sports/movies back then so I recognized more of them, but probably wouldn't even recognize anybody current anymore, so I'd be genuinely clueless if I crossed paths with any these days. Do you know how I am? No, And I don't care :D.

Treating them low key used to generate some good $$ tips though :D. Perhaps that's why I started doing it lol.

Some of the Girls I worked with would lose their shit and be out of commission when some singer/celeb would come in. Get a grip....:rolleyes:

11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Pretty rude of someone to sweat on you...:D

G 97 likes this.
  12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

See the size of that melon? It was a legit workout.

cav115 likes this.
  13. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

My KS story:

Back in ‘99 I was living in Charlotte. Bought my first new bike (‘99 SRAD 750). Brad Coleman was a service manager for the Suzuki dealership. Put on a track day at CMP - my first time ever on a track. Halfway through the day, I’m feeling pretty good about myself, getting around the track pretty good. even dragged my knee. Going into T1 I get stuffed up the inside by someone on a GSXR600 with LUCKY STRIKE leathers on.

Im thinking to myself “Who does this guy think he is??? Kevin Schwantz????”

It was Kevin Schwantz. He had just moved to Lake Norman and was setting up the KSSS, and IIRC was recruiting Brad as instructor. It was cool as shit!

Fast forward to 2008 at the D200, I’m walking though the pits and see KS. I stop and say hello, and proceed to tell him that story. He laughed and remembered the track day. He was super approachable and very kind with his time.

He’s definitely one of my all time favorites!

PS. Not sure if anyone knows Brad but he was responsible for getting me addicted to the racetrack. Super good dude!

14. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

FYI, Brad Coleman is one the top 3 things to come out of West Virginia. Well below Chuck Yeager but definitely top 3.

15. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Is he still involved with the sport? After I moved from NC I never bumped into him again. Just curious.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

He was really just a pretty regular guy, that liked cars, bikes and building stuff. Back before he was famous, my wife and his first wife , Karla, were friends. I actually asked her out on a date before meeting my wife, probably around 1989....but I wasn't 'bad boy" enough for her. She was a waitress at a nightclub/bar I used to go to every week.

Rica and I had a small wedding and JJ and Karla came to it. We both went to each others kids birthday parties, up to about 5-7 years old I would say, then I probably only saw him once or twice since about 2002-2004.

I think, at least originally, he worked too hard in the garage at home and didn't give mama enough attention.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    ClemsonsR6 and G 97 like this.
  17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

[​IMG]

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm used to it. :D

cav115 likes this.
  19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Never be afraid to engage Kevin, he's so super friendly. That's the reason his fans love him. He's also a dog guy, which makes him even cooler.

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

He's still around the sport I believe

pjzocc likes this.