Kawasaki Will Spin Off Their Motorcycle Business By October 2021

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Nov 3, 2020.

1. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Honda makes a competitive 1000 and kawi might be closing eventually. The world isn't all bad this year but it sure is weird.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Even when they do spin it off i would be surprised if KHI didnt keep some of the stock. Thats how the Japanese do things with partners....hold each others stock and shit.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

so you're saying Honda is buying Kawasaki :Poke:

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  5. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

I hope this do not affect the WSBK team.

6. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

GOD BLESS KAWASAKI, HOPE THEY DONT FALL VICTIM TO CHINA ..BUT ITS LIKLEY JUST A MATTER OF TIME
    SOME OF THE BEST BIKES FUCKING EVER!
    IMG_20201103_201830.jpg
    IMG_20201103_201900.jpg
    IMG_20201103_201952.jpg
    IMG_20201103_202018.jpg

jrsamples, TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

stk0308, britx303 and baconologist like this.
  8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

A return to MotoGP?

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Dear Christ

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Guess they going out in style

upload_2020-11-16_11-40-42.png

The Great One and Senna like this.
  11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Shows what you can do if you aren't spending a fortune on MotoGP.

12. grasshopper

I bet the cost of that rig doesn't even cover a half season racing moto gp

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why would they? They can spend 1/5th to 1/10th as they would in motogp and rule in WSBK and get more and better press by dominating there then finishing top 10 in motogp.

Nothing in going to motogp for them.

14. grasshopper

Still makes me wonder if they have a prototype GP bike or at least initial design documentation to build one.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

are you from Yamaha?

Quicktoy and 2blueYam like this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd imagine they've done drawings and maybe have gone as far as doing the plans for the motor. Maybe a chassis with a motor based off their 1000 but I doubt they've gone much beyond that and built a "real" motogp motor. Doesn't make sense in spending millions to just try and build something just to build it.

Didn't they try or express an interest in do a wild card with their WSBK bike last year?

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Be cool to see Rea out in MotoGP on his ZX-10, but with MotoGP like rev limit, an exhaust tuned for the higher revs and the fancy brakes.
    They could add some wings too, but then you are talking $ for wind tunnel time.
    It would be interesting to see if the bike / team was adaptable to the tires without doing some significant chassis work. They would probably need a test day or two before the weekend to work on at least a decent baseline setup with the new tires and brakes.

18. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Yep! DORNA said absolutely not to the wildcard request. You either sign up for a full go or you dont get to play.

I was really surprised to see DORNA say no to letting them dip their toes in. I was thinking it may give them the incentive to jump in.

But then what if their production based bike did better than expected and made the GP paddock not look like the big bad boogey man? That would be a negative for DORNA, no?

BigBird and Senna like this.
  19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

What does this actually mean though? From what they said it sounds like they want the motorcycle division to operate independently to make it more competitive. A spin off could take any form. Kawasaki has a vested interest in the motorcycle division going well, as they still need a consumer facing product to promote the brand. Kawasaki are my favorite of the Big 4, I hope this makes them more competitive and it’s not just a BS prelude to selling the company. They make some crazy ass products that no one else would bother with. Who else would make a turbocharged bike or a 4 cyclinder 250Cc machine? Some of the point of those products it to promote the engineering prowess of KHI though, so hopefully this doesn’t change.

I would think KHI would do this in the form of making them a wholly owned subsidiary, or spinning it off a public company in which they hold most of the shares. This should give the motorcycle business access to new capital independent of the main business. It’ll be interesting to see what form this takes and hopefully KHI is serious about the continued success of Kawasaki motorcycles and isn’t just spinning it off for a quick sale.

BigBird likes this.