1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’ve heard great of things about it. I also have a couple OSS rifle cans. Then there’s the fact it was in stock with a free stamp. So bingo. Short of being able to shoot a prospective purchase I go with a brand I trust with features I’m looking for. I’m at eight different brands and don’t hate any of them but definitely have my favorites.

2. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

I'm planning to install Tandemkross fiber optic sights on a TX22 and would appreciate any advice the beeb can offer to dial in the elevation and windage of the rear sight.

I'm also interested in input on a 9mm with a smooth trigger with a crisp break. I shot a Glock G43 Gen 3 today and didn't like the trigger. It felt gritty and the pull was quite heavy. The Safety Officer at the range suggested the CZ TS 2. Whatcha got?

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

My answer 95% of the time when people ask what gun to buy is rent or borrow as many in the class of firearm you’re looking at. Range , competition, edc etc is only the beginning. There are a lot of good guns available today.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

For trigger satisfaction, the 1911, P7, Ruger Mk series, SAO(single-action only) and DA/SA(double-action/single-action) handguns are the uncompromised choices.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  5. IMO the best (stock) striker fired triggers currently on the market (on guns under $1k) are on the Walther PDPs and Canik METE/Rival lineup.

The Springfield XDM-Elite and HK VP9 triggers are good too, but I personally put them on a level behind those two ^.

The good thing is that all of those models have offerings of various sizes ranging from 3.5"-5" barrels. So it really depends on if you are looking for something to carry on you, or to stash in the house/car.

But like Ron said, the best thing to do is to try different ones and see which ones feel the best to you. To me, a gun is almost like a motorcycle...as soon as you get your hands (or ass) on it, you just "know". With that being said, I have bought a metric assload of guns without having actually seen them in person first. Sometimes they are great for me, sometimes they aren't. But there have been a lot that I have picked up in the store, held, dry-fired, and immediately thought "Nah, this ain't it". And it isn't always about the trigger.

As I've said before, the H&K VP9L is my single "out of my cold dead hands" gun. If I had to choose just one gun to defend myself with, that would be it. But I can't say it has the best trigger out of all the ones I own. I also can't say it has the softest recoil, or is even the most accurate (but it is in the top-5 for sure). But for ME, it just works. When I grab it, it is like home. I have more confidence in it than I do with any of the others. And at the end of the day, when choosing a defensive weapon, that is one of the most important factors.

Unless you want to constantly keep buying them until you find ones that give you that ^ feeling, the only other option is to find ranges that let you try/rent lots of different ones. But the first order of business should be to find THAT ^ gun. Find your "cold dead hands" gun. Once you find it, the rest is just for fun.

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

oh man thats alot of different brands haha. Yeah hard to beat those cans but i love them more on rifles where the blowback really works better. Didnt know bout the free stamp!!!!! Just took a look at the stats between that and the rugged and i liked the oss a tad more.

7. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

For me, the Sig P320 X-Full feels great in my hand unfortunately, the range doesn't have one in their rental fleet. They have a CZ TS2 that I may shoot next weekend to compare against the Glock. I'll check to see if they have an H&K VP9L and give that a try for comparison. They have a Canik Mete so I will definitely give that a try.

Thanks

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

So much this....

My cold dead hands gun is a SAO CZ 75 that cost wise is one of the least expensive guns that I own...I have the original shadow that came before the TS (which is a phenomenal gun and better in EVER respect to the the 75) but Ill choose the 75 over it every time. That being said, I think it's a mistake to compare a TS2 to a glock because theyre so different....a better comparison would be the Canik and the VP9 to the glock....it'll give you a good idea for striker fires and you can choose which one suits you the best and then compare that to the TS2 (because you'll also be comparing a massaged SAO hammer gun to what you deem is the best striker fire gun for you).

If you end up really liking the TS2 (either over the striker fires) or still really liking it in conjunction with the striker fires, you're next order of business is going to be comparing the TS2 to 9mm 2011's....:D

Also, if you know you like the Sig, check out the Spectre Comp...:beer:

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What's all this cold dead hands BS? Y'all sound like your default programming is to be terminally perforated.
    NO!
    YOU are the ones supposed to be doing the perforating. Get with the program!
    :D

10. I won't be surprised if your search ends right there.

11. Well shit. A Canik MC9 showed up on Gunbroker so I had to get it. :D

I believe the slide is cut to accept the Holosun 507K without needing an adapter plate. So I need to grab one of those too.

12. Shit. When it comes to impulse shit, my willpower sucks. I think it was less than 2 months ago when I said I wasn't gonna buy any more until something really cool came out that I couldn't resist. Since then I've gotten the Canik 4" METE, the Canik Rival, the S&W 2.0 Competitor Metal, the FN-545, and now the Canik MC9. And of course had to put optics on them.

But in my defense, I did throw out the disclaimer of "unless something really cool comes out that I couldn't resist". And technically, I couldn't resist any of those. :D

But that is it for a while. Im for real this time.

13. Shit, I knew there was a recent one I was forgetting. I forgot about the Boresight Solutions P365 X-Macro I picked up last month.

Hell I even said that was it as far as little guns are concerned, and my EDC was sorted. Then Canik does this MC9 bullshit.

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Another vote here for a Walther PDP, PDP pro, or Canik of some sort. The pro comes with Walther’s upgraded flat trigger, another mag, threaded barrel, and mag well. Caniks have great triggers too but for me the slide was a little chunky when trying to get
    my thumb around after drawing.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm serious about getting a MC9 but I'm limited on my buying. How about a run down when you get a chance to use your new MC9? Wish I had a range that allowed you to rent various guns. I did buy a full size Canik METE for a house gun and was impressed with it, that was off of one of your "reviews".

17. [​IMG]

Yzasserina likes this.
  18. For sure, will do.

Ill take the X-Macro and my other little Canik (TP9-Elite SC) and compare it to those two.

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

yeah I lasted three months. Haven't bought a gun but Got the EO tech and magnifier and optics were part of "not buying gun stuff" but having a gun w/o an optic was pissing me off

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Sigs P320XFive DH3 has an amazing trigger, and recoil is almost non existent. It is not a slim gun on the scale. Nobody I’ve let try it yet hasn’t loved it. It’s the only 9mm I have that Denise has asked to shoot more after trying it.

No optics on this one for me. I like it just fine with the sights that came with it.

If I could keep just one. This would be it.