1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

The question was asked in this thread, previously, 44mag or 10mm for bear.

In short, one of the gun channels on YT answered it. The 44mag WAY outperformed the 10mm in ballistics. However, the much larger capacity made it more even.

Personally, if I were in black bear country, 10mm would be just fine. If brown, I'd only have my 44 or 460 on me.

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I'm a fan of the 10mm but it ain't even close to a 44 mag, a double or single action .44 Ruger all day every day. As easy as a 1911 or 2011 is to shoot well, IMO a Ruger Super Redhawk or Super Blackhawk is even easier IMO. My wife had never shot anything bigger than a 10mm and she was dead on with the .44 from the second shell in her first cylinder. A .44 mag at a 100 yards has the energy of a 10mm at the muzzle with the standard loads. Plus there are to many examples of downloaded 10mm ammo afoot. Go big or stay home!:flag:

3. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

In bear country, footwear and fat friends are far more important than caliber and ballistics.

[​IMG]

Gorilla George, Sabre699 and Clay like this.
  4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

We talking about the laws in some countries where it's illegal to own a firearm in a military or police caliber? I think .38 super was big in Mexico because of this type of law.

5. Picked up a Ruger Mk IV Lite today, my other Mk IV (target) is my favorite gun to just have fun shooting so figured what the heck. Only fired 20 rounds through it but a lot easier on my gimp shoulder than my standard one. I can get a few shots off before my right shoulder says it doesn’t want to move that way- I shoot left handed. That little less weight helps a bit.

6. Guess I’ll stay home. I’ve never felt comfortable enough to get more than a shot off with a 44, fun to shoot but I wouldn’t carry one for that reason. That being said I’m not around bears much either :)

7. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Yzasserina and Gorilla George like this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That bear flyin'up that tree makes monkeys look like amateurs. :eek:

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I'd be looking out for Mom.... :eek:

Yzasserina, Sabre699 and DmanSlam like this.
  10. fastfreddie

That was my first thought when I saw that it was a cub. Still, that thing had paws with claws, and that snout!

11. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

12g shotgun is more than capable too. But I was curious about handguns. True, you have to draw the handgun which is securely stowed on your body. But I could see where a person might set down a long gun -- which is loosely stowed or swinging from your body -- for those activities you mentioned. Darwin may be at play though.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Same rules as Zombieland.....

[​IMG]

13. fastfreddie

I would bet Darwin, for sure, has a lot to do with the outcome of bear/human interaction.
    Black bear, and only the rural ones, I would be okay with a handgun for which I've developed a second nature.
    In true wilderness, not a chance. It's war.

14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

lizard84 likes this.
  15. That video makes me want to start hunting. I don’t wanna shoot anything, I wanna play with the bears. No way I could have just sat there with the little bear right there. I would have to play with him and give him my food.

16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

But at some point in its life the bear starts to think that you're the food :eek:

17. Nah, not me. We would be friends. :D

18. Boom. The P365 X-Macro with the Boresight grip module and Holosun 507K is on the way.

935AE9BE-125E-4552-99DF-814C769963AA.jpg

The Dagger is already sitting up there. I’ll wait till this one arrives and get them both at the same time.

Sabre699 and StaccatoFan like this.
  19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

View attachment 205530

Nice. The P365X non-macro is my current top contender. I still haven't gotten around to buying one yet. I'm not sold on having anything more than the iron sights, though I'll probably buy one that's optic ready in case I change my mind.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

D8254573-E895-4C69-BD06-5662DB889149.jpeg

Gorilla George likes this.