1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

To each his own but this is restomod 180. Taking something newer and adding older design. I like levers. I like ARs. I just don’t want their offspring but can’t wait to hear the reviews.

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

CCI 9mm has been great, so has Selier and Belloit. Stay away from Winchester white box. It's crap.

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I had some Winchester steel case that was very dirty and did not work in all guns. Winchester isn’t what it used to be. While they still make some decent stuff they also make some junk.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

For those on the beeb that aren't the sharpest tool in the box (not me). Can you or someone provide a situation? Laws are different based on the area you reside. I cant think of one. :confused:

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
    :D

6. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I have a pending trade deal for a Taurus Tracker 627 (.357) revolver which I'm told is a good "bear defense" handgun. But it's a 4-inch barrel which seems small for that sort of purpose.

But what do I know? So I'm turning to the beeb for consultation.

So, if I want a handgun for bear defense -- which is really just an excuse for me to buy another gun -- which of the following 3 handguns is the best option for "bear defense"?

Here are the 3 handguns (and examples):
    1. Semiauto (e.g., Glock 40 MOS or Glock 20)
    2. 357 revolver (e.g., Taurus Tracker 627)
    3. 44 revolver (e.g., S&W 629 or Ruger Super Redhawk)

Here are the main criteria:
    - cost
    - barrel length
    - ammo availability
    - recoil
    - draw speed
    - grain size

7. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

What kind of bears are we talking, black or brown? Personally for black bears I would go with a Glock 10mm over a revolver. Lighter, more capacity, easier to shoot. For brown bears nothing short of a rifle in .308 or above will do for me.

DmanSlam likes this.
  8. DmanSlam

I haven't given much thought to bear color. But, seriously, the Glock is "more familiar" to me. So that's a plus. The handgun appeal is being more likely to carry and within reach vs a rifle which I'm likely to set down more often.

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I don't disagree but unfortunately that's not always practical. Plenty of areas in the country where carrying a rifle in bear territory isn't an option, namely National Parks. 10mm is probably as good as it's gonna get.

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

There's really only one answer here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Desert Eagle 50AE. :D

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

No response!

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't risk being under armed in regards to a bear. 44 Mag and up.

DmanSlam likes this.
  13. DmanSlam

The 44 Mag is my thinking but the Glock MOS 20/40 seems comparable. Gonna see if I can test fire them somewhere.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If I thought for a moment that I was gonna be encountering bear, I'd be slinging a 12g at the ready loaded with slugs.

Handgun? That I have to draw? While I'm pickin' my nose/tyin' my boot/lookin' at my compass/phone/GPS/takin' a swig of water/takin' a piss/etc?
    I hope someone says it was nice knowing me.
    Just sayin'.

DmanSlam likes this.
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Bears?

[​IMG]

Gorilla George and Razr like this.
  16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Double stack 10mm - EAA/Tanfoglio, Glock 20/40, SigX-ten, RockIsland 2011, S&W M&P 2.0,
    SingleStack 10mm - 1911 Variants, S&W 1006,1066,1076 series,
    Also .41Magnum revolver

DmanSlam likes this.
  17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I use a 44 revolver or 10mm auto depending on mood of the day. I’ve heard you can also reach back and grab a handful of shit and throw it in their face. Was wondering where you get the shit from but was guaranteed if the bear is charging and you reach back it’ll be there.

Razr likes this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What's that brown shit all over it?

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

20. FN came out with a new 510 Tactical (10mm).

Razr likes this.