1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HVAC question

Discussion in 'General' started by jeppe, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

Im calling on the combined WERA HVAC knowledge here.
    Yesterday my HVAC unit at the house stopped cooling, the fan works and the compressor sounds like it is running but I'm not getting very cool air. it does cool a little but far from enough.
    If I'm listening to it after a while it sounds like the compressor stops but it does start up almost immediately
    It is not frozen up either.
    This is a12 year old packaged Lennox unit (heat pump)

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

/Swede

2. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Maybe it needs a coolant recharge? Is this a window unit or a split system?

3. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

It is packaged "whole house" unit

4. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

+1

5. Dave_SV

Most likely needs to have the coolant recharged, according to Lennox they use R410A refrigerant.

6. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

... Try to find the leak in the system... if you need a recharge, most likely their is a leak somewhere.

7. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

That sounds good. I hope is just needs a recharge. Im waiting to hear back from a HVAC guy to se if he can come out an look at it today.
    It is going to be HOT here in the next few days

8. Dave_SV

In most cases if the compressor is still kicking on and off it means your coolant level is just low enough to shut it down then back on.

If you need to add more than 1lb of coolant than you most likely have a leak.

9. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.
    Fortunately I have 2 units in the house so we can seek refuge in two rooms at least.
    I moved into the house a year ago and have no idea when these units where serviced last so I hope it is a small leak that can easily be fixed and then have it refilled because I sure do not feel like spending money on a new unit just yet, with the being 12 years old I know it is coming but hopefully not this summer.
    The combine knowledge have at least put my worst fear of my unit being a complete goner to rest :)