1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how will this covid affect race turnouts when we get back to racing

Discussion in 'General' started by ahastings, Apr 6, 2020.

1. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

Just wondering if race turnouts will drop like during the last recession with so many people getting laid off and companies going under. How many of you are changing racing plans ?Or maybe turnouts will be high this season when we get back to racing since it will be a condensed short season.

2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Hence the ill-named 'Pay to play' thread. Can WERA survive until racing is allowed to start, and then the predictable downturn in business?

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You should use the word "if" more often as it pertains to the current situation. How will this affect turn out "if" we still have a place and organization with which to go racing?

4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Right now, everything is up in the air for me. Too many variables at play right now, but having gone through being laid off from my industry for 8 months before and having to work odd jobs to pay my bills, my race bike and racing plans are on hold until things settle down a bit.

ahastings and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't think alot of people realize how much damage is being done to our economy right now. I won't get into the debate of the shutdown, but many businesses will not make it through this. No amount of government stimulus can fill the permanent hole that is being created.

Unless our leaders get creative, which I highly doubt.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Everything is up in the air for everyone at the moment. No way to answer these questions yet.

Montoya likes this.
  7. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Our season starts late up here in Canada and if this continues, no way anyone will afford to race.
    At this time, I have work (they just changed our 40h to 32h coming next week) and I have more important to take care money wise…. like saving it, in case this goes much longer.

If it doesn't, I don't see us racing up here. The main sponsor of our series, MOPAR, has pulled the plug from all its racing programs and the owner of the series, CSBK, has yet to make any sort of announcement of cancelling the season. I'm sure he's looking for other avenues. Regardless, I don't see a big turn out to the events. :(

8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This. The economy will be in shambles for all of motorsports, even track days.

GarrettRick, ToofPic and Gino230 like this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I haven't raced since 2014 and was eyeing a return this year. This situation makes that unlikely or impossible. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so it will definitely hurt.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think we should come up with one more thing to guess the outcome of and then ask each other if we think we’re right...

EDIT - and then I think one or two really special individuals should make random charts and graphs based on partial “facts” provided by the mainstream media to further support those guesses...

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I predict that 2020 will be a banner year for uncertainty.

What do I win?

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I predict that I'll probably get another cup of coffee, after which point I'll likely take a dump. I do have experiential data on this, but no graphs, and I don't think mainstream media is covering this.

13. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Wonder how many tracks will be turned into strip malls? Altho' that is always a danger.

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Roebling is first on the list

15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Are you sure? :D

Yzasserina likes this.
  16. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ugh

17. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The good news is that it's giving us all more time to prep machines. :)

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Cota will be the first to either change ownership or close doors for a while, I doubt it'll close forever but it's possible.

R1M370 likes this.
  19. Too early to tell how big of an actual dent this has made IMO, but it’s made a pretty big one already.

20. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

me and my old wrecks plan to race.