1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot water issue

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

That was the joke. I know it drives people on here crazy

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I got it, and it drives me nuts, too, because words have meaning. I was just pointing out a single case in which the phrase was accurate.:crackup:

YamahaRick and Lawdog78 like this.
  3. Riot

Riot Well-Known Member

This is the second useful thread in 2 weeks (the other was the car detailing thread). Thanks for reminding me to flush my water heater guys!

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

To make it REALLY hot, duh

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

And pass up a chance to get electrocuted and severely burned at the same time?

notbostrom likes this.
  6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

No need to rush into stuff.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was my dog at least every other week with a hose off the bottom of the heater. Waters plenty warm enough for him to have a bath and it flushes the lime out, there'll be bits in the shower head nozzle when it dries.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Explains a lot...:D

9. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

beac83 likes this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Pro tip...flexible lines with sharkbite ends towards the plumbing if you've got copper. Keep the release tool as the next take will take longer to haul out than to install the new one.

11. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Pro tip... Buy another motorcycle without telling her. You get in a LOT of hot water, for free!

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Pro’er tip: put shut off valves on both hot and cold lines and use dielectric unions to connect the water heater to the plumbing.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Tankless.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up buying the water heater and putting it in myself. Had to make multiple trips to Lowes, because this heater was a little shorter and had to buy new water lines that were longer and modify the exhaust vent.

Fortunately I do have a 1/4 turn ball valve on the cold water side and unions to connect the water pipes.

My torch is at work so I bought another to sweat solder the copper drain pipe, that needed a section cut out.

I was quoted 2200-3100 depending on brand and warranty. $2200 was a 6 year warranty on a Bradford white 50 gallon from a local plumber. Lowe’s install place quoted $2900-3100. Both of them said there could be other little charges. I do know they added money in to pull permits.

I bought a 12 year warranty, AO Smith 50 gallon for under $1200 with some supplies, pipes, lines, etc.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I bought a new Bradford electric 40 gal. 3 months ago, it was $600 from a local guy 3 miles up the road.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've been in my house 30 years, built in 1992. Still on the original tank and have never replaced the coils either. It's been 25 years since I last drained the tank. The new coils I bought 25 years ago still sit unused on the top of the tank. Our water is damn near perfect( knocking on wood), If you buy Tulpohocken bottled water you'll get the same water as their well is just a half mile up the road. I swear if they ruin the aquifer I'll blacken their Christmas and piss on their door. :eek:

PS...They'll beg for mercy but still there will be more...... (Edger Winter???)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

To make the hot water hotter obviously

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I flush mine annually but I got shitty hard water

19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Then it would be a hot water heaterer?

Shenanigans likes this.
  20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

my Gas hottest water heater is leaking in the garage. It's relatively slow and I"m not seeing anything on the water bill.
    What sayeth the beeb? Is there a way to fix it, let it leak until it dies, or time for a new one? It's 10 going on 11 years old