1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot water issue

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Went to shower this morning and there is no flow of hot water. A little warm but when I go all hot with rotary knob, just a little water comes out.

Bathroom sink has hot water.

Laundry room has reduced flow too.

Upstairs bathroom has same issue.

I’m assuming a partial blockage coming out of heater? Water heater is still working and I can see flame.

What should I be looking for?

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

blend valve on shower/tub faucet

Cooter! and Raceless man like this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Just checked kitchen sink and full flow water while heating up and then slowed to a trickle. So it seems there is a blockage somewhere?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Tristan probably nailed it, bad faucet. Is your house equipped with PEX, or the old fashioned copper or plastic supply lines? Does one line feed your bathroom, then branched out from there, or does it have individual lines from a manifold (home runs)?
    Crawl space, slab floors?

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

How old is the water heater?

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Far too many clever quips to be made RE: where you reside…

But I’d suspect scale chunk dislodged in the tank and is restricting outflow

ungwaha, beac83 and notbostrom like this.
  7. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Time for a new hot water heater

8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

When was the last time you flushed that water heater?

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Get that fixed or your new nickname will be "Stinky":D

Probably better kill the power and the flame on the water heater. If it is leaking the flame can get overheated with lack of water.

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

How often should this be done? Sad to say I've never done that.

11. Boman Forklift

I’ve never flushed it but have determined it is a blockage at the heater. I turned off the water disconnected the hot water pipe, hooked up a hose to that pipe and turned it on and not much is coming out.

So I’m over at Lowes now. May pay someone to do it, not sure yet

12. Boman Forklift

I didn’t know about flushing a water heater either?

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Flushing requirements (frequency) are strongly influenced by native water chemistry. Everyone should always try to live where there is soft water. Makes brewing easier and you only flush your water tank every few years. :beer:

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Water tank flushing depends on water quality as indicated above toss a tank out every 10-15 years or go tankless and flush it a lot depending on the quality of your water. I have a mental disorder related to fixing too many easily preventable water damaged basements in my previous career. I swap a tank every ten years.

15. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Why would you want to heat hot water?

16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

In Tennessee the water is hard AF, probably need to do it once a year but no one does. Hence when replaced after 8-10 years the capacity is probably down ~50% due to sediments. I replaced one that was 12+ years old that weighed half a ton after draining. So full of sediment we ended up having replacing the washer because of the sediment that got sent downstream. I told myself Id drain every year after the new water cooker and washing machine, but have not yet actually done it. Its on the list tho....

Sabre699 and speedluvn like this.
  17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Must be completely clogged, pay the Lowes guy, especially since it's gas fired.

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I'm on a well with hard water. Mine was making warm water last year instead of hot. The bottom element was bad. Drained and went to replace it and there was so much build up it shorted the element. had to empty the years worth of build up and the put it back together. Its fine now.

You should drain and flush every couple years, or sooner to get the scale out. If you have a gas heater that scale on the bottom will act as insulation and cause the heater to use more gas for the same water temp.

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

In case it isn't hot enough coming out of the first water heater. I added an on demand water heater for the shower after the water heater for the rest of the house since my wife wants her shower to be hot enough to scald the bristles off a pig. There was no reason to make the rest of the hot water that hot, so the ondemand heater was in fact a hot water heater.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Turn water temp to highest setting the night before you need to clean something like outdoor furniture or an engine bay on a vehicle that can benefit from piping hot water rinse.

Run a garden hose right off the botom of the heater to where you are working. Double bonus....you're flushing it and you get some clean gear. Works great for getting stuff clean like grills, lawnmowers, etc.

TurboBlew and Razr like this.