1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guys whose wives back them up.

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Oct 10, 2016.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You just had to go there, didn't you?

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Thanks man. I'm excited about the future actually. I know I'll be way happier.

Cuddles de Sade and BigBird like this.
  3. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

This sounds so familiar. One time when I had to check out a very suspicious sound in the middle of the night, Springfield XD 9mm in hand, she got so pissed at me that I may have had to use it. So what, next time wait until you are gutted like a fish and they walk out the front door with our tv in hand before I rack the slide?

418, nhammond54 and VFR#52 like this.
  4. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

I only meant in this thread...

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

That old adage about marrying someone like your mom... My mom loves the racetrack. Not for the sake of racing because that's just irrelevant to her. But she is all about her boys and supporting them. I suppose I learned a ton from her about how a woman treats a man and I saw a ton of those qualities in my wife. She is an amazing mom, just like my mom was/is..

BigBird likes this.
  6. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

This is another area where the gap widened. She use to come to all my races. For the last decade, not a one. It was nice having her there to share those experiences, and yes, even to have someone there to hand you a towel, or a beverage right after competition, or have another driver for the ride home so I could decompress after the event.

V5 Racer and VFR#52 like this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

It was the liquor talking. ;)

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My
    My wife used to be like that. She showed her dissatisfcation with people that carry. Once we had kids, she was totally cool with it.

9. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Reading some of this affirms my own thoughts about my marriage.

My wife hates my race bike and my desire to race again. She often tells me that she wants a partner that likes to do what she does.

To her, if it's not practical we shouldn't do it. She doesn't get the appeal of racing that I get. She grew up with a father that hunted so I asked her if I took off hunting several times a year how would she feel about that, "I'd be ok with that, my dad did that!"

In the long run, I figure my next job when I'm out of school will determine what happens with my marriage. If I get an offer with a good company some where other than Missouri, she probably won't move because it probably won't be practical in her mind. For me, if I can make 20k more by moving and that exceeds the differential of costs of living, I'll move by myself. The sad reality is, I'm supposed to show her the utmost respect no matter what she does (she is loyal, I'll give her that) or says to me but I can't expect the same in return.

A good example here is, a few weeks ago I took myself to the hospital for a kidney stone. I left her at home, she'd been sick and her son was sleeping so someone needed to be there. Long story short, when I got home rom the hospital, I got my ass chewed because I didn't let her come with me. I also got accused of holding this over her head which I never said one word about taking myself to the hospital. Her response was "oh but you will". I think that's her response for feeling guilty for not knowing what to do but none the less, I paid for going to the ER in more ways that one.

I envy those of you that have made it work for all these years.

DrA5 likes this.
  10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Any woman that is worth a f#&k is a lot of work. I've learned that and firmly believe it. I've been with the same gal for 23 years, since I was 18. She's a lot of work, but she has a lot of reward. No way she'd ever be with some slack ass, do what I want kind of guy...never. She's a great mom, great spouse, and is very successful. Is it easy always? No way. But nothing great in life worth having ever comes easy. You gotta put in and do the work!

Boman Forklift and VFR#52 like this.
  11. Cuddles de Sade

do the things that make you happy, be it racing, hunting or underwater basket-weaving...whatever it is. to quote the great Dante Nero "a woman falls in love with you for everything that you are, she spends the duration of the relationship trying to turn you into something you're not and when she succeeds she will leave you for a man who is what were when she met you." this will sound harsh but you need to stop listening to what she says she wants. compromise, but don't lose yourself in the process. don't give up what you love or she'll lose respect for you...you always have to be the dude she fell in love with to begin with.

jrsamples, BrianC636 and VFR#52 like this.
  12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

As one who has raced over 20 yr's and had a wife who did everything she could to spoil my racing while telling me she supported it.
    I say get the Book Men are from Mars and Woman are from Venus.
    Read it and then have woman read it.
    It will work wonders if the woman really cares about you.
    It will also tell you if she is all in for you in long haul.
    Got to chapter 2 and knew I'd be divorced. Lol.
    But it explains so much on how to deal with each other.
    And as you read things will become clear.
    Best of luck.

Steven Isenhower #52

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So...do a sit up or two and grow your hair back (instead of your back hair). :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. nhammond54

nhammond54 Hammond Brothers Racing

Oh yeah my Mom will be with us at the GNF! Me, my brother and my nephew are going to be racing. She wouldn't miss it! But she also don't bitch that we do it either. She understands we love it and the understands the risk. She wants to support us at what we want to do.

BigBird and VFR#52 like this.
  15. Cuddles de Sade

or just keep trading them in on a younger model.

50Joe and VFR#52 like this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Been there, done that, ran out of tolerance for the pervasive dumb that afflicts the yoots of today. And I don't have to do sit ups. ;)

17. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Lies. You lack the bankroll that is required for the spoon-fed millenials.

418 likes this.
  18. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

My wife is awesome, that is all. Been together since '91, married since '99.

ps, She owns her own Mustang GT, CRF70, Yamaha Zuma, Superjet 700, Mule 600, and other stuff...

panthercity, BigBird and Kris87 like this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I still ain't doing sit ups. :Poke:

20. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Okay, just lay off the toast then. :p