1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got me a Race Van

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Would it be softer because it's a passenger van vs a cargo van?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. My E350 was a passenger too, drove fine loaded.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Looking good! I'm picking mine up tomorrow- went the other way this time and got a conversion van, so I'll either pull my small trailer or strip out the back of the van to haul the bike.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I wanted a conversion van but they're mostly half ton, short wheelbase models. The only 3/4 or 1 ton's I could find were high-dollar limo conversions.

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. drop

drop Well-Known Member

there is a small road side dealer down here that sales ex work vans for stupid cheap... has many long, short wheelbase and all brands and year models..

if someone is interested ill get the name tommorrow and number and post up..

8. Tristan

Yeah, I bid on this one but was about $800 too low- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...49&item=220870951888&sspagename=STRK:MEDWX:IT

I ended up with a '96 Savana 1500 135" wheelbase, low roof, 5.7 V8. If it's too much hassle to squeeze the bike inside I figure I can pull my 4X8 open trailer and still get the same MPG as a bigger van, and it will be more useful for around town and family trips. I used to have an ext. E350 that I loved, but I didn't love the 12-13 MPG and the size of the thing.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I don't think you'll get any better than 12-13 with that one, either. I've got a '96 G20 w/ 5.7l and averaged about that. Get slightly better with my '01 G3500 w/ 5.7, sometimes I get as much as 14mpg!

I want Gigi's van. I'd kill him and cut his daughter's hair for a diesel van. :(

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I get from 8-10.5 towing and 15+ unloaded with my F350 and 46' trailer. I would want more from a sincle vehicle set up.

I got 10-12.5 with my 24' trailer and the same truck.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hey Round-boy...ya know there's a difference between an F and an E, right? :Poke:

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yeah, almost 20k lbs. I'm not on the good end of that one.

13. Tristan

The current owner claims 16mpg, I'll find out tomorrow when I drive it 250 miles home. Someday I'll have a Sprinter...

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Eh, could be. I'm not known to be easy on the skinny go-fast pedal, nor do I run 'em with any space between the frame bumper and the axles. :D

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I got 14.9mpg at a steady 85mph on the way to the track. I figure 17 or 18 is doable if I keep it around 70.

16. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a broken leaf spring

17. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

check these out, I had a set installed on my G3500 Duramax. Had the shop put the gauge and air release in the cab on the dash, the compressor is wired through the fuse panel and sits on the frame rail in front of the battery. Made a HUGE difference while towing or rolling back home from the frozen wastelands of Wisconsin with three 400 lb bikes, parts and a 300 lb wrench driving 10 over the limit everywhere.

link:http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/2337.html

I didn't buy from that site, the shop put together a kit that was the same thing and added a compressor, switch and the relays. The kit they sold me had a gauge as part of it.

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

25 bags of concrete piled up at the back doors of an extended E 350 will send you sliding straight thru the light at Reed Hartman and Planifield when the pavement is damp.

Hey, I was 19 and told to go get the shit!

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ha! BTDT but it was an old K5 Blazer loaded with pavers on Vine :D

20. Tristan

Surprise- he wasn't lying...I got 16.7 MPG, not too shabby. Traffic was a bitch and it rained most of the way, the 480 mile round trip took 11 damn hours.