1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bourbon?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 17, 2020.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Where is here?!

2. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I love that Russells single barrel. I have two barrel picks from different stores that are both great. Love the rare breed too but every time i get into it i'm wrecked the next day. Just picked up a bottle of rare breed rye, maybe i'll ruin christmas with that one lol.

ton likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Yes, I should’ve mentioned that. Voyage 24 is what I usually see around here and it’s been excellent. Voyage 23, wasn’t bad, either.

Even the wife has been getting down with the Garrison. It’s awesome stuff for the money. The silver-sealed single barrel is a panty dropper on weekday evenings.

I just snagged a bottle of honey dew, and we’ll get into that once we’re through with the bottle that’s currently open.

deathblow likes this.
  6. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Man this thread doesn’t age well for me since Pete passed away .
    Maybe I’ll do a shot for him tonight.

FastByKids, YamRZ350 and Senna like this.
  7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

E.H. Taylor Single Barrel will always be my favorite. Too much nostalgia around that one for me. It tastes like the Old West in a glass.

Shame it’s so hard to get these days. I used to be able to walk in to my local grocery store and pick up 2 bottles for $75 each.

cpettit likes this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

They make some decent juice. I think they were outsourcing the distilling to someone else for a while, but I believe it’s all in-house now.

They have a tasting room in Utah if you ever find yourself out that way.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

I was amazed how good it was. I’m generally not a bourbon lover as it usually seems too sweet for my tastes, or I just haven’t had the right stuff?

This was really great, and I was expecting it to cost much more for how good it tasted to me. I’m no expert On Whiskeys, bourbons, scotches, etc. I just know what I enjoy, and it tends to be the better stuff that you can drink straight up.

No rot gut Jack Daniel’s for me. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed the Jack Daniel’s tour and would do it again in a heart beat.

10. Boman Forklift

I have never tried it. Will have to get some in the future.

Well the first thing that came up was $500 a bottle. I won’t be trying that. Lolol

Single barrel popped up at $289, that’s too expensive for my tastes.

I don’t know the differences but this one would be the most I have ever spent on a bottle of booze, but I think I could stomach it. $106.99 https://www.instacart.com/landing?p...0rldj8qqpiiIeXVSkNGHGLu4uZXDzAFYaAjdUEALw_wcB

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  11. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

How'd I miss this thread?

I've transitioned to Bourbon from beer almost a year ago for various reason.

Anyone else do this trick? I buy the cheapest bottle I can find. Then use a oak spiral infusion and let sit for three weeks in a cool dark place. I use a coffee filter to strain in a new bottle.

For me it's almost as if drinking a $100 dollar bottle of the good stuff!

Yes, I'm a cheap---lets move on from that point. :D

12. Boman Forklift

Never tried it or even understand what you are saying, but if it turns rot gut into wonderfully drinkable product, I am all ears…..PLEASE EDUMACATE me

This was an old thread from before your return that I brought back up. Yes, that is how I started drinking hard stuff. I went on a low carb/no carb diet which killed drinking beer. I wanted to find something when out with friends as wine has a lot of calories too.

Enter Scotch, and Irish whiskey.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

1 buy a big plastic bottle of Old Crow
    2 insert oak stick
    3 profit!

FastByKids and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. cpettit

If you’re looking for good budget bourbon find some Evan Williams or Early Times Bottled in Bond. The new Benchmark variations are also very good.

I just polished off this Old Elk and thought it was great. A bit pricey at $70 but very good. Also picked up this OF store pick. Should have bought more of them but they were $110 each.

55B7505C-B67A-43A1-A72D-5B70E0DC5238.jpeg D6DA40D0-484E-4D20-8A54-DD1B4E8AD415.jpeg

15. Boman Forklift

I'm not sure if you are effing with me? I don't want to profit, but I'm totally okay with drinking something cheap that I can easily make taste like the good stuff. I don't even drink that often, but when I do, no need to just burn money.

However, Iwill still have to buy some peaty scotch. I like that stuff and many people I have had sample it do not.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Not a process I'd bother with when there are good bourbons for <$30

my current go-to is Evan Williams 1792, and as stated above EW BIB is good too and regular Old Fo 86 is also good.

17. Boman Forklift

So, you are telling me that $70 and $100 a bottle stuff is considered budget? At this point in my wealth curve, I don't see spending anymore than that on a bottle, and honestly I really like El cheapo Jameson pretty darn well. The 70-100 stuff I have sampled is better, but not enough better that I give up on Jameson. Heck that $29 stuff I linked a bit ago from Utah, seems as good as anything I have ever had and I've spent up to $70-80 on a bottle, but I don't think I've ever spent more than that.

If so, I'm the guy that just moved out of my card board box and am renting a room in someone's house.

Now surprisingly in Red Wine, I can easily taste a difference between 10-20 and 50 and 100 stuff.

I've heard of Old Forrester and will have to buy it sometime. I think that is one @rd400racer recommends.

I also agree, if it takes a process to turn 10 stuff to 30 stuff......I a'int got no time for dat shit. Now if it makes it taste like 100 stuff.....I'm all ears.

So stupid question. Does bourbon just basically mean it is Kentucky whiskey? Kind of like Scotch is Scottish Whiskey? I ask because in my experience Bourbon has been sweet and I don't like it that much. I've had 1792, I think. Makers Mark and Makers 46, I have both at home, and don't like them as much as Jameson, so when I pull out scotch/whiskey for guests, they often will grab those, but I don't usually drink it.

I've bought Bulleit and I think I remember it being decent, but never restocked it. Now I've bought Red Breast 12 and Green Dot several times and like them much better but they are more $50-70 range. I even bought those and gave a bottle to a couple of employees that enjoyed them while we drank at the office after work pre covid.

18. cpettit

No the first ones I mentioned are all around $20-$30.

These Benchmark ones are a great value IMO. Same exact liquid as EH Taylor, George Stagg, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace. Just aged in different spots for different amounts of time.

C3C2FC75-7C96-41B3-BA99-74B99E2D5468.jpeg 7DC07E1B-6EDD-4979-BF17-F2A578598C16.jpeg

19. cpettit

These are also great for the money if you can find them at retail price.

D30242A7-2037-4344-846D-85F8D77A62CB.jpeg 8A47BCC0-8491-4A54-AEB8-4AA8C5FDF840.jpeg 8D415694-649F-4238-9F7E-9406853C5FB1.jpeg

I have no idea why all but one pic get posted sideways. Is there a way to rotate them? Never used to do that.

20. Boman Forklift

Hey @cpettit do me a favor, if you don't mind, so I don't waste all day on this thread searching. :D When suggesting, please give some price ranges.

I'm pretty willing to gradually try anything that is under 50-70 a bottle if you guys on here say it is pretty good. Unless after seeing my dislike towards sweet Borbon, please give me a heads up before throwing a 50 away, because sweet stuff will just wait for guests or I will have to toss it. Plus most of my friends drink wine or beer.