1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bourbon?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup:

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

NY is not a region it is a sewer.....

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was thinking about this thread since a buddy of my got a hold of and sent me photos of his bottle of Pappy family reserve.

Won the drawing lottery to be able to buy a bottle at a local store about 6 months back.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

And he'll be sadly disappointed. My brother has the Pappy hookup...I've had them all. More over-rated than Billy Eyelash.

DrA5 and 83BSA like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think for him the hunt is more then the prize judging from history. They are opening it for Turkey Bezerky day and his family will enjoy it.

Cool with me, I have no interest in trying it since the clears and browns and I do not mix well. :crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

The 20 yr I had from the original distillery was by far the best bourbon I've ever had. It was shockingly delicious. It goes for more than the 23yr by the glass around Louisville, if you can find it.

7. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

The guy that gave me this Widow Jane said he tried both and didn’t care for the Pappy.

8. rd400racer

I have not tried the 20 but my brother has a bottle of 23. I wasn't impressed but it is such a subjective thing. And by not impressed, it just didn't stand out as "Oh wow, that's the best bourbon I've ever tasted!". Now green label Weller (strangely enough from the same distillery as you know) blows my mind.

Sweatypants likes this.
  9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've never heard anyone that had their mind blown from 23 either.

My wife and I have drastically different palates when it comes to bourbon. We were both floored by the 20.

rd400racer likes this.
  10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I'll trade you a Weller Red Label and $150 for a bottle of 23 year. ;)

rd400racer likes this.
  11. rd400racer

Wish I could. My brother has the hookup. Usually gets a bottle each year for his birthday from one of his friends that has a source. Enjoy your Red Label...it's probably better.

12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Red Label'S - There is more than a few in the cabinet. ;)

BrianC636 and rd400racer like this.
  13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

No, that's NYC, which should be renamed New Jersey City. The state does not acknowledge NYC as NY.

As for good bourbon, its called moonshine and doesn't have that nasty barrel aging taste.

sheepofblue likes this.
  14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

that's how i felt as well. its definitely good, like i enjoyed it. for what people sell them for, i can think of 20 things better that i'd rather have. i'm not paying 30-35yr. scotch money for Pappy.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I wish I could drink the browns, I have a buddy who owes me big and can get me any of the Weller I'd want. I don't want any of it 'cause no matter how good it is, I'd end up on Cops wearing only a coon skin cap and chuck taylors driving a stolen 911 and blasting ABBA after glass 76. :D

Browns and clears, not for me. :D

16. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Ha ha it all makes sense now

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i went there last summer. That was the day my friends found out my wife and i were getting divorced!

i think all of them were aware before i (very spitefully) got into the tub with a nice young lady at the hotel suite afterwards

but yeah, the distillery may have contributed to the awesome decisions that followed.

18. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

It's gross shit. Don't bother. Serious.

I will say I'm a huge fan of the 107 and also the 12 year. For some reason, the green label left me way under impressed. And that Blantons crap can suck a dill also. The only thing that makes it good is that half of you cant find it. Its collecting dust here on the shelfs....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  19. ton

ton Arf!

In honor of Thanksgiving, our little whiskey club (7 of us) did a blind tasting of the group below. With a wildcard of similar mashbill thrown in as "control". Our rankings were nearly unanimous (the only thing we differed on was which ones were 3 and 4):

1. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    2. Russell's Reserve 10 year
    3. Russell's Reserve single barrel
    4. Wild Turkey 101
    5. Blanton's single barrel (seriously. in this group on this day, it got thumped)
    upload_2020-11-20_11-7-51.png

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Overall that's a pretty disturbing image. :D