1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good bourbon?

Discussion in 'General' started by PistolPete, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Clearly that needs a redbull.
    or a monster if you happen to be a yamaha guy, or a cal crutchlow fan..

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Nah I just buy more than I drink. I visit a lot of distilleries for work and it’s hard not to buy one of everything. I don’t have any unicorns but those two Old Fitzgerald’s are from the Stitzel Weller distillery.

9ABD2941-79D5-4299-8ECC-8AB1B54D0A1F.jpeg 7AE0AAB4-C2C6-4598-BD21-3065E5128BAF.jpeg

3. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

From a local expert on the topic, the ones that he highly recommends are (for regular drinking, not the $300 bottles for milestones):
    Eagle Rare
    Buffalo Trace
    Woodford Double Oaked
    Breckenridge
    Amador
    Sweetens Cove

Make sure you do the Kentucky Chew when you start drinking.

I am currently enjoying Knob Creek Smoked Maple.

I also like Jim Beam Vanilla. (I like what I like.........).

cpettit likes this.
  4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Can you share the recipe. I am looking for a good one to get away from mixes.

DrA5 likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Rookies, the lot of you :D

Sabre699 and 83BSA like this.
  6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm on the way over right now. What cigars should I bring?

7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’ll just look away.

8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Reported.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

We have had a running wager at work for day of first rain here (0.1" threshold). Just cracked it, and an Old Fashioned (Michter's rye) and a cigar outside in the hot tub are suddenly an appealing way to celebrate the heavens and toast to putting 2020 to bed soon.

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

What is your recipe for Old Fashioned?
    I have been using George Dickel for my old fashioneds, how is it with Rye> I have some Bulleit Rye.

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

2 oz whiskey (I like rye simply because its a bit more peppery than bourbon)
    0.75 oz simple syrup
    2 jiggers angustora orange bitters
    2 jiggers fee orange bitters
    2 drops woodford cherry bitters
    Short shake in boston shaker, strain into heavy rocks glass with large orange peel veneer, after rubbing rim of glass with it. Add one luxardo cherry.

Cigar: Partagas culebra.

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

one ice cube. 2 finger pour.

13. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

14. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Anything over 120 proof is solid in my book

Tonight was Elijah Craig barrel proof, batch A120. Came in at 136.6 proof....mmm.

cBJr and cpettit like this.
  15. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Basil Hayden's.

You fookers who ruin bourbon with mixers probably also put peanut butter on a good steak. Sickos.

OGs750 likes this.
  16. cpettit

It kind of ruins you though. Did a shot of tequila the other day and while everyone else was catching their breath I was ready for another lol
    554B760A-8257-4747-AABE-7CF8C3B7EC82.jpeg

BrianC636 likes this.
  17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The barrel proof stuff, are you drunkards drinking it near? I’m asking for a friend . . .

18. cpettit

Nooo I gotta have some ice with it

19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Bulleit Rye would be way better than Dickel in my opinion. There’s many ways to make them and recipes to use, but a real old fashioned should only contain spirit, bitters, sugar, and water (usually from ice). Easiest way is put a teaspoon to a tablespoon of simple syrup in a glass, add a few dashes of bitters (Angostura can be found everywhere and are very good), pour 2-2.5 oz of a decent bourbon or rye on top, add quality ice and stir it a bit. Twist an orange peel over the top and add a cherry if you like.

At the bar I work at I make old fashioneds by the gallon every few days and then we just pour it on ice. I use 4 Rose’s bourbon, Bulleit Rye, Angostura bitters, Cooper and Kings bitters, and a Demerara sugar syrup. It’s a super easy drink to make, just use quality ingredients.

20. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

Syrup:

- equal parts by volume brown sugar and water - I usually do 1/4 Cup of each per batch.
    - I peel the zest from and orange using a veg peeler - careful to not have any white pith (it's bitter)
    - 10-12 solid dashes of Angostura bitters

In a small sauce pan toss in sugar, water, zest - bring to boil and remove from heat. Once it cools I shake in the bitters and then store it in a small mason jar in the fridge - keeps safely for well over a month if needed. (keep the orange in the syrup)

Old Fashion:

- 2oz Buffalo Trace
    - 1-2 tsp of the syrup depending on how sweet you prefer it. I add in a strip of the orange peel from the syrup as well instead of a fresh slice as bar's do usually.
    - 0.5oz cold water
    - rocks glass filled with one large ice cube or a bunch of regular sized ones.

Glass, ice, bourbon, syrup, water - stir 10-15 seconds to get a good dilution ratio. Toss in the bourbon soaked cherry or two, retire to the smoking lounge with your pipe and slippers.

05Yamabomber and R1Racer99 like this.