1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GNF Eligibility

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by aftriathlete, Apr 4, 2018.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

I’m moving from the southwest to AL this summer, I’ve been racing CVMA and ASMA. Looking ahead to see what local racing I can do this summer/fall. Is the GNF in October at Barber an open race weekend for all licensed riders? Or is it by invitation only for those riders that scored a certain amount of points at WERA events to compete for overall championships?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on the class/series. Sportsman races are invite only since it's winner take all for the National Championship - you have to have run any class you want to run at the GNF prior (WERA West counts for that so you could run ACS or Vegas if you like before you move). National Vintage and National Challenge Series are points for their National Championships so they're open to any WERA licensed riders. The AMA Road Race Grand Championships are winner take all and open to anyone with a current roadrace license from an approved org.

There's a lot going on that weekend :D

3. aftriathlete

I’m think I got it. So A Superstock/Superbike and Formula 1 are invite only unless I score a certain amount of points in prior WERA rounds. Would 1 race round worth of points/participation at Tally in August suffice?

And then even if I don’t make a WERA round before the GNF, I could race the National Challenge WERA Superbike race and the AMA Road Race Grand Championship.

4. aftriathlete

Just RTFRB’d, and it sounds like an invite to race the GNF Sportsman classes isn’t just based on a certain number of points or race finishes, but it’s compared to other riders, so I would have to accumulate somewhere near the largest amount of points in a region. And Tally in August isn’t one of those races anyways, it would have to be the National Challenge Series races.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You just have to run any class you want to enter at the GNF once prior, no set amount of points needed. No set position in points needed.

Yes on the rest.

6. aftriathlete

I got it. And my last post about it having to be the National Challenge Series races is incorrect, it could be any WERA event that has Sportsman class races.

I got it. Thanks for walking me through it, I think it was just a little confusing with all the different championships and things that are up for grabs the weekend of the GNF. I’m gonna shoot for making th August Tally round and maybe even the Sept RA round so I can race some classes at the GNF.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep - like I said, WERA West counts as well, anything in our Sportsman Series anywhere in the country.

It is confusing so keep asking - even riders who have done this for many years still get it twisted around :D

Metalhead likes this.
  8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Hey aftrialthlete. Ask all the questions you want. Mongo is the guy with the answers. Looking forward to having you with us. :timeforabeer:

aftriathlete likes this.
  9. aftriathlete

Hey Mongo, was just RTFRB’ing and I see that it looks like aftermarket master cylinders are not allowed for Superstock. Accurate or no? My bike came with an aftermarket Brembo 19x18 on it but it’s the low end model and not some billet GP thing. Is that an enforced rule for Superstock?

I’ve heard the stock Tokico MC on a K7 GSXR were actually made of soft cheese.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not allowed and absolutely enforced.

11. aftriathlete

Copy that. Looks like I will be racing Superbike and Formula then. Thanks Mongo.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any time.

13. S.bryant.H400

S.bryant.H400 Member

So, I think I sorta understand. I raced last weekend at Tally in B Superbike & superstock, sportsman Saturday and National Sunday. I now qualify to enter for GNF @BARBERS this fall?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, you are qualified to enter both B classes for the Sportsman races at the GNF. At Barber.

15. S.bryant.H400

S.bryant.H400 Member

Thanks Mongo,

at Barber

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator