1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas for $1.99 a gallon around here.

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Just ride your GROM until the "crisis" is over.

SuddenBraking and Gorilla George like this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Dude the trend in the increase in gas cost started long before the situation in Europe. Long before. When oil production and transport was dramatically stopped state side. Not to mention the greater change in oil imports were already in place prior, while the recent import ban didn’t come into play until today and even then the decrease is not that significant, relatively speaking. The increase in price is one of our own doing more than anything else. And you are deluding yourself thinking it’s just about the cost of gasoline that people in this thread are discussing. The US was energy independent, that changed and we are all now paying for it. This is what frustrates most people while the actually cost is just the mechanism of complaint.

DmanSlam, R1M370, jd41 and 4 others like this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

You just plug them in and they work on clean energy. :crackup:

R1M370 and Banditracer like this.
  4. :stupid:

I mentioned that a week or two ago.

DmanSlam, R1M370 and G 97 like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I ain't driving all the way down to Yuma for fuel :D

We're coming in 40 to Kingman then up to Vegas to grab Tammy so after that the normal run in on the 15. Absolutely going to fill up in Vegas and then just grab enough in Cali to get me back to Vegas if I need any. At least Fontucky is closer than Buttonwillow so it'll save some.

7. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

$5.40 here in Monterey CA

8. joec

joec brace yourself

+.10 overnight. 4.29 now

9. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I can't believe how much I'm spending pouring gas into my generator to charge my Tesla. Oh, wait. I just read the owner's manual and it says I can also power the car with unicorn farts. But I'll spend a fortune on boarding fees and hay.

StaccatoFan, jd41 and Gorilla George like this.
  10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I see this thrown around a lot, and am genuinely curious as to what, in your context, the definition of being "energy independent" is and at what point in recent history the US had that distinction.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

14. NemesisR6

So, precisely how does being a net exporter of energy (which we've been waffling +/- around since the pandemic started due to wide swings in demand and therefore domestic production) insulate the US from global price fluctuations to any significant degree when we still import the vast majority of our refined petroleum that drives the gas prices everybody seems to be screaming about?

Unless we just start magically refining oil to a much higher degree (which we have neither the capacity or desire from domestic producers to do) and start selling "farm to table" petroleum products, this continues to be the absolute biggest pipe-dream of all the similar talking heads populating the news cycle trying to rally their base on a concept they know they're too foolish to completely understand.

Even if this new domestically produced and sold gasoline existed, do you think that producers would just give US consumers a "discount" out of the kindness of their hearts when exporting that product would yield much higher margins during times of higher demand?

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Pretty simple. The US is producing less now than we once were. No need to over complicate the matter. We are now producing less energy than we are consuming. At one point we produced more energy than we consumed. Simple.

Side bar.
    Energy companies would be stoopid for not exporting energy at a higher price while importing energy at a lower price.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. NemesisR6

You're backpedaling.
    It never dramatically dropped, and it never dramatically shifted due to policy. It reacted to market forces......the unfortunate situation being that shifts in market demand drive price changes much quicker than industry can react, especially when demand ramps back up and production lags behind.

Domestic energy production has been on the upswing since 2009, allowing our venture towards your definition of energy independence, but it has NEVER been tied to gasoline prices.......not even close.

The trend in the increase in gas started back up with the middle east gave up on their efforts to combat greater US and other country's production by flooding the market in 2016. It obviously dipped again in 2020 when the pandemic hit and demand hit a standstill, but we're now in a perfect storm of recovering demand, lagging production, and market uncertainty.

The days of sub $3 gas are long gone barring another global event. It will find a way to fall again, and the market average seems to be favoring settling in the $3.25-3.75 range. How fast we get there depends on how quickly producers can get production/distribution back up to speed, and hopefully a relatively quick resolution with this terrible war. The ability for the US to control it's own destiny in this regard is absolute balderdash.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

18. NemesisR6

So par for the course. Got it.

DmanSlam likes this.
  19. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup: Oh Booooo Hooooooo
    Not my fault you can’t understand a basic concept that is clearly spelled out in several articles via a Google search.

20. NemesisR6

Lol, the article you just posted summarizes my entire point to even more detail, but the last bit is the best:

Screenshot_15.jpg

Enjoy basking in ignorance. I've nothing further to add.

DmanSlam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.