1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox Racing Shocks Guru's

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by OWO1, Sep 24, 2021.

1. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

The major difference is how much nitrogen a fox takes.
    Parts availability is an issue also. But its experience that makes the difference.
    A fox takes 300Lb of nitrogen and a Penski takes way less, ( sorry having a Mad cow memory loss moment)
    But the valving is different between the different nitrogen amounts.
    Ran into this when i came back and had a fox on F3 and found out the suspension guy filled it to what a Penski took because he didn't know the difference. Lets just say rear shock didn't work so well.
    And i even told him how much to put in and he just did it his way.
    I even have the repair manual for the fox along with the Penski manual.
    Hope this helps.

Steven

2. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Good info and helps alot thank you Steven. I don't understand what the amount of nitrogen a shock takes would be an issue? Are you saying that people just don't know the amount (psi) the foxes take?

3. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what im saying. The valving in shock is set to control the shock stroke and it acts against the nitrogen when shock moves.
    it will bounce uncontrollably. I dropped 5 second's after i put 300 psi in fox and it actually worked.
    i check the shocks nitrogen before i put bike on trailer before each race because they slowly leak down over time sitting.

steven

4. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

I've made a few calls and am going with the most economical route for refresh of the twin-clicker I have for now. If it needs further work in the future, it will go to Mike.

5. TJS

TJS 1994 GSXR 750 and Bandit 400