1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Mechanic recommendation near Pensacola FL?

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Apr 6, 2022.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I don't live in Pensacola, or I would at least look at it and give him a better explanation than "sludge build up" for why he needs to spend the better part of twenty grand.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

What better explanation is there?
    Those engines make too much heat, if the consumer uses cheap oil/doesn’t change it often enough they end up with these issues.
    We see them way too much at a independent shop. I can only imagine the amount of shit shows the Ford dealerships are seeing these days….

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Seriously? Even your theory of "it has skipped a tooth on the timing, potentially damaged its valvetrain, and we want to guarantee you won't have this problem again three months from now" is an infinitely more useful and justifiable explanation for why he might need to buy a new motor.

"Sludge build up" is a fuck-off answer. Change the oil and clean the buildup, if that's really the case.. don't charge me $17,000 for a new motor. That's an explanation you give to someone who you know doesn't know any better and won't question BS.

tony 340 likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The oil passages in the cam phasers aren't very big. It doesn't take a lot poor maintenance to shit those up. You are creating a timing issue even if it if never jumps a tooth.

5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Can you get the service writeup? Not giving much to work on here. An OBD code even. Given what's been provided so far, for all we know, it could have a hole in the block.

6. turner38

Sounds like you really need to open a shop specializing in the shit show Ford products and their issues!!!
    Just imagine all of the goodwill you could create patching all those things back together with total disregard for the long term well being and good of your business and customers.

A 18k engine is a tough pill to swallow but it’s much better than a 2k dollar timing job followed two months later by a 18k dollar engine job….

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A man with wisdom. I suspect he's seen that scenario play out multiple times.

8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Dude I'm literally just asking for a shop recommendation to go get a second opinion, because "sludge build up" is an absurdly generic answer. I'm not saying I know what the problem is. I'm not saying I'm qualified to diagnose the problem. I'm not even saying you're wrong. I'm just saying that "sludge build up" is not a diagnosis that smells of professionalism.

I kinda figured that with all the knowledge here, SOMEONE might know ANYONE in the Pensacola area who'd be qualified to take a look at this thing. Do you work for World Ford or something? Jfc. Getting a second opinion is never a bad thing.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Sudowoodo likes this.
  9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I can try. I've been asking for more details but part of my gripe with all of this is that more details seem surprisingly hard to come by and it sounds like it's the service dept not giving good explanations. I'm not the one dealing with the service dept directly tho, so benefit of the doubt/generic trust in life makes me think that the WFP Service Dept did give the guy a writeup, and he's just too clueless to understand it sufficiently to relay to me.. but I dunno.

Either way, I'm not looking to solve the problem.. just give the guy another shop's number to get it double-checked.

10. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Check out the Car Wizard on youtube. He's got a few videos on the 5.4 3 valve. The only way he'll touch one is an engine replacement, as there's no use wasting the money to half ass it when it's going to quickly fail again. The engine supplier he uses does an oil passage modification to help with the issue.

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Wing wheel garage Pensacola

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

<3 <3 thanks, I'll forward them on to him.

14. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

W
    This is about the 3.5EB, though.

15. turner38

5.4’s are gold compared to the shit show that is ecoturds.

16. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

cool?

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My wife has her oil changed regularly and on schedule and has the explorer with ecoboost.

Would it make sense to run a cleaner in there once a year a couple days before her oil change ?

Would it make sense to switch over to a synthetic oil ?

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

You should definitely be using synthetic.

Ford was the reason they came out with a whole new oil spec.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/new-oil-specification-for-gdi-ecoboost-engines.6097/

tony 340 likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

shop class day #1:
    Engine oil's job = cools, cleans, & seals.
    So yeah... that & a blackstone report should give you all the guidence you need for intervals.

20. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

That's sounds about how my '11 ecoboost was about 3 years ago. Needed timing chain, etc replaced and I had them do the cam phasers while they were at it.