1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floridian Hate.

Discussion in 'General' started by BR549, Feb 2, 2013.

1. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

For about the last ten years, my wife and I have been going up to east Tennessee and west North Carolina to look for some acreage to buy and build a home on. We really like the people up there, but we've noticed something rather peculiar about them. Most of them are very friendly toward us until they find out we're from Florida. After that, they cool off a little. They're still polite, but they're noticeably less enthusiastic about having us as neighbors. A particularly candid, motel clerk told us we weren't imagining this response and that it was due to the very large number of Florida transplants to the area over the last couple of decades, but she couldn't, or wouldn't, explain it any further. We know Florida sucks, but that's why we and other decent folks want to get to get the hell out of there! Are Tennessee and North Carolina folks worried that ex-Floridians are going to bring the Florida stupid with them, or is it something else?

.....and on a related note, does anyone here know any good, real estate peeps in the areas of Cleveland and Johnson City, Tennessee?

2. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Simple. Stop telling them you're from Florida. The internet is a big, expansive landscape. Word travels fast. They're probably scared you know Dits and he'll come visit you after you relocate there. They don't want to clean the shit out of their kid's fort.

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Florida is a northern state just situated in the south.

4. If that's the only "peculiar" trait you've noticed, you've missed a lot of other traits :p. Just wait until you live among them.

Don't take their dislike personally. The people of that region have traditionally hated all "outsiders."

5. My dad was born and raised in Johnson City and we'd go tto the farm out near Jonesboro. When folks out there heard we were from Memphis, TN, we'd get the stink-eye. When I'd mentioned this was Dad's hometown, we'd get a pass...sort of. Like Stupid said, they don't take kindly to "outsiders". You may tell someone about their still or try to bone their daughter.

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"Ich bin an Auslander"....

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I am Australian?

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The mountain towns Hate Floridiots as they call them. I live in one of the worst areas and hate driving my company car with FL tags... Even living there they will know you are an outsider since you didn't go to school there and your great grandpappy didn't built half the town. You will most likely always be considered an outsider and treated poorly.

And seriously... Cleveland? what an armpit...

9. notbostrom

PS this also shows the mentality of Mountain people... they hate Florida people but will gladly sell them property then bitch that they are there.

10. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

Despite the title I gave this thread, I don't really think it's hate. It's more like wariness, or suspicion. That's okay. I like Appalachian folks, anyway.

What's wrong with Cleveland? I already know about the stink plant in Calhoun, but some of the areas east of town, like the Ladd Springs Rd. and Ocoee communities, seem very nice. Please, be honest. I need to know this stuff.

11. notbostrom

Honest thoughts... the area is dirty and industrial and the views are nothing special. If you are going to put up with the Florida hate clay dust and trailer trash at least make sure the scenery is awesome... and decent places to ride..

12. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Yep I get the same cause I'm a FL native. Usually when I tell them I'm a Jew working for Massad they leave my sorry ass alone!

13. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

Being from PA, I always thought of Florida as retirement state. And one with a lot of broken vehicles along-side the highways due to lack of vehicle safety inspections. And hurricanes.

What's all the hate about, fill me in.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It really is. There is no southern flavor in this state whatsoever. I've been here a while but NC is forever home. I'd hate to see it dirtied up with FLoridiots.

15. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

There sure as hell is up here. :D

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Floridians don't even like Floridians.

17. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

That's cause we actually live in south Ga! Ha. But we are filling up w idiots too.

18. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

Born and raised in the Seattle area for the past 49 years, I just bought a place in Miami and will transplant myself there in a few months. I hate the people in Washington. Most came from Califorincate which fucked this place all up.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have read this multiple times and I'm still confused. You spent 10 years looking for land to buy?

20. Motorin Mark

Motorin Mark Well-Known Member

We are from Florida and are back here now but we lived in Cleveland, TN for six years while we ran STT. I liked it, real close to Chattanooga, nice weather and we had a killer house on 28 acres with a 1.2 mile Motocross track on it that was affordable and only four miles from town. That kind of property here in Florida would be over a $mil!