1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flatrock Motorsports Park

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Jul 19, 2022.

1. This place is only like 1.5-2hrs from my house.

With these fuckers would have built it years ago.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If they're willing to pay the sanction fee AND the track actually gets that level of approval then yep, it could happen. But it's hard to see a brand new track having an extra few million for a sanction fee. Maybe if they find a promoter with deep pockets willing to gamble.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well to heck with Houston, time to stay with Reggie and the donkey in TN.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Ya tellin me! I live in Knoxville. Been here for almost 4 years. In January work is moving me out of state. I'll land about 800 miles from here. I am *salty*.

Word on the street is they have a backer or two with deep pockets. Who knows if they're truly *that* deep though.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sure they do to keep going and actually start building the track - hard to say though if they'll pull out more millions after spending tens of millions on the track itself. Granted I hope they do but I freely admit a bias there :D

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

132 miles to Nashville; 190 to Atlanta. I am extremely skeptical that DORNA would get beyond "nah".

7. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Me too. At least WERA will be able to race there at some point!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why? Knoxville is about the size of Austin. COTA is further from Dallas than this will be to ATL.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm hoping we can afford it for sure - if not the big track then maybe one of the smaller ones if they keep them safe enough.

Rugbydad and koth442 like this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

If they out price themselves from the start like that the writing will already be on the wall for them.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What writing is that? We've got VIR not giving anyone race dates, COTA overpriced, plenty of tracks with way too much guardrail - we don't matter a bit to any of them :crackup:

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Cota is world class and has the races to back it up at this point.
    Vir is just dumb and it won't last with them either.
    And this track is supposed to be different than the ones with all the Armco.

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Population of Austin is 5x that of Knoxville. Austin Metro is double that.
    COTA is 20 miles to city center and 6 to airport. Another metro with 2.4 M people is <80 miles away.

14. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The track in Argentina isn't exactly near a booming metropolis, so there's that.

stk0308 and koth442 like this.
  15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if the numbers add up for a private investor to pay the Dorna sanction fee. Any good investor should want a return. And the return is usually in tourism. Sales at the track are probably just a small fraction of that. So how would an investor make money…

Supposedly the Finland GP round was getting funded a lot by wealthy owners of the track. That didn’t survive the track improvement phase and there are no plans to revive it.

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And if they don’t have COTA like garages why would Dorna go there?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

18. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I wonder how I could convince my wife that we should sell our house and move to a race track..

koth442, BigBird and BrentA like this.
  19. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

LOL....if you figure that out, you could recoup all your money spent in probably a week....selling that information for a fee! I'm just sayin'

BigBird likes this.
  20. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

I knew there was a reason I only made that mistake once!

xrated and BigBird like this.