1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Financial success vs happiness?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Apr 2, 2015.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is it kobe beef with kobe bacon on a fronch pastry with gold leaf speckles served on a WSJ or Forbes plate? :Poke: :D Is a sweet cheat meal? :beer:

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

NO. Its one of his shitty gas station McMuffin clones that have like 30 grams of saturated fat and 120% of your daily sodium requirements. :D

Bone appetit!

3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

^ Bon.

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

this is a prime example of why I don't like having many things or owning much in terms of financial liability. I could start over tomorrow. But the OP is trapped by his choices. Shit would give me hella anxiety. If you want to change careers, Do it. Just accept the fact that you are going to have to downsize yours and yor family's lifestyle. Otherwise shut up and get to work.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Damn now I want to walk to mcdonalds for breakfast

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

To the original poster:

You could always quit your job and go to truck driving school.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sorry, one word went missing. I meant that I ain't got that kind of money lying around.

Saw that on Yahoo with the other day but I did not really. The idea makes a lot of sense to me, though.

Was Brazil vacation? I thought you were going there only for work.

You truly get to appreciate the value of memories when you have no use for stuff.

8. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Yeah but then he'd only be employed 3 days at a time :D

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd loan you the cash to buy a laptop, a tv or 5 las vegas hookers without a second thought. I know you well enough that it'd drive you crazy knowing you owed someone cash. I'd get it back and fast.

Work. Been there 3 or 4 times for work for a total of maybe 4 weeks plus.

I'm now of the opinion that anything I did before I got married and had the kid just really is not worth spending time on. Every time I'd run into or talk with friends from college or high school all they want to talk about is the "good old days." Dude, move on, that was decades ago and I ain't got time for that shit.

and if I had porsche money, McLaren money or private island money I'm still going to be a cheap mothertrucker. :D I've been broker than broke and never want to go back. :D

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Well you are clearly very good at making selfish decisions. My choices don't simply effect me, but my wife, my child and ultimately my extended family. You have the mindset of a young man who has no vested interest in anything beyond yourself, which is fine, but I wouldn't presume to make choices which effect many people without knowing all the details. Simply shutting up and going back to work has equally negative repercussions as downsizing. And having grown up poor, I want to be able to give things to my son which I never had.

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

This.

12. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

career change

I changed my career @ 42 . it can be done but sometimes it's not easy. i went from contracting houses and commercial buildings to a leather tailor in about a year or so and then made it a family affair . darethea and I would sit in the porch swing at the shop drinking our morning coffee and listen to the commuters going past the end of our drive heading to the daily grind and remember when we used to do that. I sort of miss traveling around the country and setting up and working @ the tracks but that was another time. I guess I really miss all the people from different walks of life and all the stories they told . I guess I had a few of my own too . I need to jot them down before the old memory goes . Happy Easter to All . bill and darethea

13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Oh give me a fucking break. :rolleyes: my daughter wants for nothing, and is getting a good education. You think you're somehow more of a man because you own more shit and have your kid and wife use to a certain lifestyle. And if they'd hate you for wanting to change then well..... You married the wrong woman and raised your kid like shit.

Keep telling yourself you're unhappy. We both know you're just looking for sympathy. And based on your responses we both know you won't go through with it.

At least I own up to being an attention whore. One who's free to do what he wants when he wants. you love the shackles of your American dream.

[​IMG]

All insults aside. I hope you do go through with it. Youll learn a lot about yourself and the people around you.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Some fookin wisdom right there.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was actually thinking strictly of memories of things you experienced as an adult. Things you did when you made the choice to do something instead of buying something. That can be anything, really. Taking your wife and kid on a safari, a weekend at the racetrack, a passenger ride in a P51... I truly believe those will last you a lot longer than the joy you get from a Rolex that spends 99% of its time in a drawer.

Now, if the Rolex is your gift to yourself for scoring the contract that changed your professional life, or getting pole position at Daytona, it is still technically about the memory. :D

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, I understand that and you're right. Going to Puerto Rico with my wife and kid, Disney world, a rough planned trip to europe with them in the next year or two, all great shit. It's all about my kid and giving her those memories. Hell man, the Cabrio instead of a Q5 comes down to that and giving her memories of fun trips and dad putting roof down when it's snowing.

The Rolex was a carrot and just being able to get it. A marker in my life that I can thank U2 and Madonna for allowing me to afford and eventually, my kid will get. :D

17. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

Got those friends. One guy reminisces about high school like it was the best days of his life. Just on and on and on. He remembers shit that I did in HS that even I don't recall. Damn, have you not done anything worth while in the last 15 years?

Oddly enough by society standard he is doing pretty well, job in the medical field, own house, etc. but as far as his character/maturity he's literately stuck in high school.

Having kids definitely changes your perspective.

18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Your opinion has been noted and given the weight it truly deserves. Thanks.

19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

A Pulp Fiction scene with Christopher Walken returning a watch just played in my mind.....

20. I'll take the stress of working for myself than the stress and burden of working for someone else any day.

It's been ingrained in our heads that we need to have a stable 9-5 job to keep our heads treading above water so that we can buy that new fancy TV or a brand new house or own those $200 sunglasses. None of which adds any modicum of value to our lives. We work jobs we hate and do nothing to benefit anyone other than ourselves. Everyone is always in a shit mood dreading going into work and they drag that baggage around with them all the time. It's exhausting hating your job. It's exhausting not doing things that inspire you and drive you. A lot of the advice in this thread is coming from people who hate their jobs and have no idea what they would do without financial stability. Money doesn't matter and if you think it does, you're hopeless.

I quit my stable job of over 8 years making between 65-70k on January 31st. Granted this isn't a 160k+ a year job but it got me by and allowed me to have a decent lifestyle which included a nice race bike, going racing, traveling a bit and not living in the ghetto. But I was miserable. Everyday. Every stupid day I hated working for someone else and it showed in every aspect of my life. Relationships, friendships, racing, health, etc. I was always searching for something more than what was in front of me until one day it hit me. Nothing was preventing me from doing something that truly motivated me everyday and allowed me to do what I'm actually GOOD at other than ME. It was a hard decision and I caught a lot of grief from some of my close friends but my girlfriend pushed me to do it. "I don't care about money, I care about you being happy" were her exact words to me.

The struggle has been real since then. I LOVE what I do. I do it for myself. I work as much or as little as I can sometimes at the mercy of other peoples times constraints but I still LOVE it. I am the happiest I've ever been in my life. Even though my bank account has seen better days I have no cares in the world about money. I took away something that tore me down everyday and added something that truly motivates me and inspires me. I am fortunate enough that what I do has been paying the bills and your results may vary. But I would take that leap. I would absolutely find something that drives and motivates you everyday to be a better version of yourself than you were yesterday. Something that challenges you and makes you reach within yourself to find pieces of you that you never knew existed.

TL;DR - hippy BS, move along.