1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of flying

Discussion in 'General' started by Mblashfield, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

let me know if your ever on my flight

Been on a plane when some of the hydraulics went out and we diverted to denver, but luckily nothing else.

My first solo cross country I landed and forgot to put in full mixture and took off with a very lean engine. Climb out was pretty bad until I looked down, that was pretty dumb, but it taught me to never skip a checklist again, no matter how mundane.

Looking to get my helicopter rating now, first flight in a chopper was a blast.

2. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

I would not doubt that:beer:

3. Christian157

http://www.rvairshows.com/My Godfather's son (my dad is his Godfather as well) Rick Volker keeps offering me a ride. Given my luck streak I decline every time. :D

4. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I fly JetBlue to Florida whenever possible, either to Orlando or Fort Lauderdale. (Southwest to Birmingham, AL) I book 6 AM flights out of Logan so that I'm airborne before Logan turns into a zoo. Non stop so I don't get stranded at points in between or miss connecting flights. $30-$45 for the extra legroom seats in the first five rows includes the express lane through security and boarding the plane first. I always book seat 2A because first row doesn't have a seat in front of you to stuff the laptop under and the left side window seat gives a great view of a glorious sunrise at 30,000 feet, no matter how shitty the weather is below.
    My minor beef is that JetBlue moved their Fort Lauderdale operations from Terminal 1, from which you could walk directly to the rental car center, to Terminal 3, which requires you to take a shuttle bus.
    Buying the premium seats seems to keep the brats away from me, but on one of my flights last year, the woman next to me opened a Bible, fondled her Rosary beads and sang to herself the whole flight. After about a half hour of this I put on my noise cancelling headphones. They really did the trick!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. migkilr

migkilr Tool

C'mon, couldn't be safer, I mean what are the odds it'll happen again...

6. Christian157

Read the weird accidents thread and you will see what I base my luck streak on. Its not that I am afraid to fly (I have a backpack powered paraglider myself) I just don't trust Rick-he's mischevious.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Gotta firm grasp of risk theory...Huh? :D

8. Check out my upcoming travel plans :D This is the First Class section on the British Airways 777 I will be taking home. I have to fly from Africa to London, then from London to Atlanta (I have the same airline, same seat, 3K, on both flights).

[​IMG]

And no, im not paying for it; my company pays for my travel. If i had to pay for it, i would probably try to buy a seat on the shitter. :crackup:

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:up:
    Nothing like first class that someone else is paying for. Happy drinking!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Remind me to never ever ever fly with you on the same plane.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Better yet, he should post here every time he flies so people can schedule their trips on the same day. You rarely see two airliner crashes in one day.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

BA first? Man, I am envious of that!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damn good idea!

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

That's a bit of Garp buying a house logic...:D

15. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Aerial Refueling.

[​IMG]

16. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Read up on the Robinson, Long time fixed wing pilot buddy of mine got his rating in a Robinson was training for his instrument when the airline pilot that got him into rotorcraft lost the rotor on a one,,, buddy gave it up, check November ST. Pete heli crash. Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission.

I have a couple clicks over 3M miles, could fill a page with funny and frightening flight stories, some great ones here. Never crashed but have had some bad flights and came real close to a collision early 90's in a DC10 at O'hare.

Awssome pic of the AR, They used to do the CFM56 conversions on the tankers at the Birmingham ALA. airport.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  17. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Sounds like my multi-engine checkride. Forgot to go full rich/high rpm :eek:

18. Yep :D It is a BA plane/flight, but i put all the miles on American Airlines (both a member of the OneWorld program) because i am Platinum with them and it gives me more options for using the miles in the US.

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I spent in a year in W. Africa (Liberia). I had to fly SN Brussels Airlines from Monrovia to Brussels, then catch a connector home. Funny how all these piss poor Liberians could afford a $1500 ticket to Brussels. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the diamonds they were suitcasing up their ass to avoid UN sanctions. On my connector to the states, it was amazing how many Orthodox Jews were flying from Brussels to NYC. The diamond trade is strong..

T.I.A.

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

My personal tip it to watch the flight attendants when it's a rough flight. If they're not freaking out, then everything's fine. These people probably see more turbulence in a week than i see in my lifetime.

I try telling that to my wife, but it never works. She's terrible with turbulence, no matter what I tell her.

But overall, military guys have got to be the toughest when it comes to rough flights. Hats off to them.

How about Coast guard crews that run rescue missions in the middle of a storm?