1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Educate me on painting track fairings

Discussion in 'General' started by guy2600, Apr 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

If you are going to be buying from an autobody store, get some cards for doing sprayout samples. They have different gradients from white to black. This will let you know how your final color will look, depending on what color of primer you use. Some paints are really transparent, and other aren’t. Metallic blues and greens have been the most transparent colors that Ive dealt with.

2. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a flattening agent to get a good matte finish? Kind of like an OE Aprilia finish?

I've been using Sherwin Williams paint and their FC710 or FC720 clear coat to get some good results the last year, and they are VERY glossy. I tried to do a satin clear (FC750) and it turned out ok (see attached), but it's more of a slightly dull gloss, rather than a true satin, let alone matte.

I've heard that adding a flattening agent to the FC710 gets better results than using a satin clear. But when I google "flattening agent FC710" I basically get very little results.

Attached Files:

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

So I recently finished up the buildout of my 2017 R6 and went this route. I used the Color-Rite OEM matched paint for the tail/fender/upper (matches perfectly but sprays thin and takes about 4 good coats) and regular Rustoleum from Ace Hardware for the black. Followed that up with a good few coats of the Spraymax 2K clear and I'll be damned if it didn't turn out amazing. Tons of gloss with superior hardness and protection from solvents. All-in it was probably about $200 in materials, most of that was the cost of the Color-Rite......if you can do without and just use off-the-shelf colors it would be less than $100.

[​IMG]

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

That thing looks sweet! The results that you can get without breaking the bank are pretty mind blowing. It'll get easier and faster each time you do it. And there is an extra bit of pride when you get compliments on it and you can say "I painted it myself", lol.